Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Activities

Hi there,

I wonder if anybody can help me, we are changing the way we complete our baseline assessments at the beginning of the reception year, does anybody know of a bank of activities that we could set up with matching stepping stones/goals? For example a threading beads activity could cover pattern making, fine motor control recognition of shape etc. :o We plan to allow children free play and activities that have been set up whereby we can then observe the children at play in order to complete baseline assessment.

Thank you

difficult to answer your query without knowing what resources you have access to. good idea though, to observe children at play. :D

I'm preschool so a bit different, I find it useful to also observe my new childrens learning styles as well as their knowledge and skills base, along with what interests them, some are more active than others, some are morning people, others come into their own during the afternoons, some like their own company when investigating others like to share new found investigative knowledge with anyone and everyone, whoever will listen.

Peggy

Thanks Peggy,

I will definately think about learning styles and children's movement and manner around the setting.

Thank you! :)

Hi hope its not against the rules to refer to another site! The TES website has a resources section and 'Toty' ,I think, has very kindly uploaded a set of baseline activities. They are all referenced to the profile as well so useful for that or ELG. You have to register but that is straightforward.

RH

http://www.tes.co.uk/resources/

I had a look last night and some bits could be useful.

We tend to look at the nursery teachers assessments (fortunately the mjority of our reception children have been through the nursery), whihc are based on the stepping stones, but include some early profile points. During the first half terms observations if there are nay huge discreancies (as there may be after a 6 week break and new adults) we will alter the records. We also tend to focus on a small numer of profile assessments initially. I will try to find it and attach it- it's nothing special!

sample_page_title__1_.doc

page_2_my_name_is_1_.doc

page_3_overwrite_1_.doc

page_4_nursery_rhyme_1_.doc

page_5_underwrite_1_.doc

page_6_own_writing_1_.doc

page_6_own_writing_1_.doc

initial_assessment.doc

Edited by Guest

Just downloaded it, good for reception as it is all organised and can be presented should 'Ofsted' arrive. I can see myself re-visiting this exercise as the year goes on to show progression too.

Liz x

Just want to add that I used some of this today and showed it all to my TA's and it was very useful and they are very enthusiastic about it all. Thanks

Liz x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)