Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Centre Community Coordinator

hi

I know there have already been quite a few postings about the role of a QTS in a children's centre but I'd be really interested to hear from people who have been doing the job a while now. I start in September but have visited my centre a lot over the summer - it's attached to a school. I'm finding it so different from teaching (I was head of nursery in a small infant school) but looks like it's going to be a fantastic challenge. I'd really appreciate people saying what their role has turned out to be and if they have any advice for a newbie!

Thanks

Jan

xx

Guest DeborahF

Hi Jan! I've been working as a QTS attached to a Children's Centre since January, though I'm actually employed by another nursery school and don't spend all of my two and a half days in the Children's Centre - a long story!

I thoroughly enjoy the job but it has been a very steep learning curve and there doesn't seem to be a lot of advice or support concerning this role in my area at the moment. I have to say that the first term was very much dedicated to building relationships with the staff already working with the children at the nursery - it can be quite threatening for staff to suddenly be told they are going to receive support from a QTS if they don't see any need for any support.

Have you been given any guidelines about what your role will involve? Are you full or part time? I've concentrated on working with the planning and assessment cycle and paperwork used in the nursery so far, tapping in to what the staff themselves feel are priorities.

If I can be of any use, please ask.....I'd love to develop some contacts with people doing the same job in other authorities!! :)

thank you so much for replying - any advice is much appreciated. i had to do a presentation in my interview about the role of a QTS in a children's centre but haven't had any guidance about it yet - I don't officially start tiill the 4th September but more or less been told my role is what I make it to be! i'm full time permanent and I think I offer support to 2 other preschools weekly too but don't know! i think you're right - it'll be a very steep learning curve - the budget management etc is very scary and noone really has a clear idea of each other's roles yet but I think that's a national thing, don't you? I have been placed in a fantastic centre with great potential but I've got to learn to take one step at a time I think!

Keep in touch

xx

Guest DeborahF

One of the hardest things that I've had to come to grips with is the time management - when your role is very much up to you it's hard to decide how your time should be allocated between different aspects of the job - at first I felt guilty all the time that I wasn't doing enough even though on reflection I was!! For example, the issue of building relationships wth the staff was an extremely important one with hindsight, but at the time I wondered if it was a legitimate use of my time.

Like you say, take one step at a time and give yourself time to settle into the role and reflect on which approaches do/don't work and what should be considered priorities. I'm sure you will enjoy the job, I love mine!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)