Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Basic Framework Training For Staff

Guest Wolfie

Guest DeborahF

I'm trying to put together a basic training package to introduce three members of staff to the Framework in a 90 minute training session. I've been on both a basic and follow up course myself and have some ideas about how to run it and some possible activities to help them become more familiar with the contents of the pack and be able to use the framework "language" but just wondered if anyone out there has done anything similar and can recommend any particular approaches or activities?

I've downloaded the "Training of Trainers" resources from the Surestart website but some of that looks a bit too in depth for what is meant to be an introductory session!

One of my staff has recentlt completed the entire training, and when she gets back off of hol next week we are going to talk about how she can cascade it to the rest of the team.

If you can wait that long then I'll let you know her ideas.

She's back Tues so will have a quick chat with her about it and let you know her initial thoughts. Then I'll let you know her plans as they develop.

She's ace!

Guest DeborahF

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received! It's going to be an "end of day" training session so I want to avoid too much "stodge"!

So far, I've taken some photos of the 2-3s at various times of the day and at different activities and laminated them - I'm going to get the staff to relate them to the four aspects and their components, I think that should provoke some useful discussion. I've also found some useful handouts linking Birth to Three with the Foundation Stage which I think will reassure them that it's not all totally new!

It would be great to hear what your colleague has to say!

Met with my brilliant member of staff today. She's has the most training in the whole nursery, and really knows her stuff. She's in the 2 to 3 room, so is informally training up the other nursery nurse who is with her as they go. I want her to cascade her training to the 0 to 2s.

She said she was happy to do this, and saw it being several sessions, to drip feed a bit at a time - so that they can go away and try things out/ reflect on things, before introducing the next stage.

She said she is going to go away and have a think, and get back to me asap. I'll drop you a message when she does.

Guest DeborahF

Thanks Shelley, I really appreciate your help. I can see that it will also be a slow process at the nursery where I am, allowing time to try things out, become confident with the framework and its language, etc. There just seems to be a lack of basic training available where we are and I'm going to have a go at devising my own!

This site has some video clips on it that could be used for training purposes.

You can also order a Staff Development Pack with trainer guides (looks expensive though)

Guest DeborahF

Thanks for that, I've had a quick look and it looks very useful...hopefully I'll have a bit more time tomorrow to look at it properly!!!

Guest DeborahF

Hi again Shelley - just to let you know that I ran the training session for B23 tonight, it went really well - we focussed on doing a lot of practical activities revolving around what they already do. The most popular one, which promoted the most discussion, involved the staff looking at photos that I had taken and laminated of them working with the children in the nursery at a variety of activities and matching them to aspects/components. It gave them a lot of confidence that they are already working within the framework and just need to become more familiar with the terminology, individual cards, etc.

So thanks for your help!

That's good Deborah!

She's coming up with a series of training sessions as we speak, so even though you've done yours, I'll post up the ideas as they may be of use later on down the line.

Glad it went well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)