Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Assessment And Value Added

Our school have been using PIPS computer based assessment to show value added (no benefit to children). I want to move away from this but wondered what else to do instead. We take children from around 13 different pre school settings so evidence of achievement on entry is not always standardised. What assessments do others use and how can you have hard evidence at beginning and end of year?

Sorry can't be of much use as we also use PIP's at the moment. The pre-school we feed from send up very little evidence - we usually get the empty profile booklett with the child's name on!

Somebody (huge apologies but I can't remember who) very kindly explained their system to me which had been praised by Ofsted. Basically, at the beginning of the year she marks her children off against the Stepping Stones and then uses these to form judgements about whether children enter with 'below', 'average' or 'above average' levels of attainment. If a child entered working mainly within the yellow SS then this would be below average; mainly blue SS would be average; mainly green would be above average.

You would then be able to turn this into a percentage of below, average, above average entry levels for a particular cohort. This could then be compared at the end of the year to how many children achieved an average score against the FSP county/national averages or the improvements you had facilitated for those children who did not 'achieve' the national average but had still, nevertheless, made progess from their starting point when they entered your setting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)