Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Start And Finish Boxes

We have used a start and finish tray for one of our SEN children. His activity start in one tray nad then when he completes it he puts it in the other tray. Can't rember what colours off hand.

Smiles

yes have just done a very good course on working with children with communication difficulties.will see if i can find course notes if not will rack brain for details but only just in from work. first day back after a weeks break and head spinning at mo. promise to get back to you later this evening .

I think that you may be referring to the TEACHH approach to teaching children with autism. Each child has a work station with a start box containing 1 or more tasks that can be completed independently. When s/he has finished than it is put into tha finish box and child either leaves table or does another task (usually denoted by pictures on a visual time table). This is to encourage independent learning. The colour of the boxes is not important.

Hope this helps

Kate

that is what i was going to say kate. the course i did was for complex social communication difficulties and was run by portage workers. perhaps if you contact you local portage center they may be able to give you some support and guidance.

I have adopted this method in the past with some of my SEN children too. We prepared a pile of big zippy wallets (called 'Jobby Bags'), each containing a variety of 3 activities (e.g. threading, book to read, name-practise card (laminated)), and then just had to ensure the child concerned was 'trained up' appropriately. The idea was, one jobby bag went into the green crate and it didn't matter in what order the jobs were done, but they did all need to be done. When each job was done it was to be put into the red 'finished' crate, and when all 3 were done, they all get put into the zippy wallet again for collection/'assessment'/renewal.

I have also set up jobby bags for one particular child who just finds carpet-time hard. Not a cop-out... more of an agreed strategy between myself and the child for times when the learning was over her head/she'd had a bad night/had a Friday lunch full of e-numbers!!!

I would say it's taken, on average, no more than a week of training up for each new child to get used to it, for about 2 or 3 x 5-10min's per day with an adult.

Don't know if this is helpful!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)