Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Multiplication Tables

Hi

Can anyone tell me what method they use to teach the times tables, my children are 5 years plus and I have started to teach them by rote. But this sometimes gets a little boring

Any other ideas.

Gill :o

Hi

We don't teach them at all! They don't come into the Numeracy curriculum until Year 2 and although I know some children might be able to cope with them I would have thought the FS is too early to actually teach the tables because children won't have enough grounding for what multiplication actually is. They might know the tables but won't understand the concepts that all the work we do on repeated addition and doubling etc in Rec and Y1 help them to.

I don't know your children though and maybe they're very different to mine. how do you go about it at the moment then? :)

Edited by Guest

I have taught them to count in 2s and 5s, counting socks, arms etc. and in art and craft we made bicycles, then the children counted the wheels on all the bikes 2.4.6.8 etc. They know their 2 times tables by chanting and they can also do simple sums. They do seem pretty bright kids really! Although I have only 8 children in my class at present.

Thanks for your comments

Gill

:)

Wow lucky you! I don't do timestables either. We can count in 10's, 2's and on a good day 5's. Then again I have a little group still having trouble counting to 10! :o I just love Early Years!

Liz x :D

Ahh! Children are all so different, aren’t they, don’t you just love them!

I am beginning to miss them all

Although I’m sure I’ll regret that statement in September. Are you on Holiday there?

I’m on Holiday until September 11th. My school is in Spain, its too hot here; I can’t wait until the cooler month of September.

Keep in touch Kelly!

Gill

:oxD:(

Gill

We go back on Sept 4th - too early! it must be really interesting to teach in another country - i'd love to do that one day! enjoy the rest of your holidays - and the sunshine - it's started to get quite chilly here already - or maybe that's just me! :o

Kelly

Gill

We go back on Sept 4th - too early! it must be really interesting to teach in another country - i'd love to do that one day! enjoy the rest of your holidays - and the sunshine - it's started to get quite chilly here already - or maybe that's just me! :o

Kelly

Hi Kelly

Yes it is really great to teach here in Southern Spain, as we have so many different nationalities. Mostly English but we also have Swedish. German, American, and Chinese.

Only one Spanish little boy though.

This is why I like to talk to you guys, to keep up to date with the curriculum. As we only have to adhere to the Spanish authorities. Which basically is to have a Spanish teacher and lots of health and Safety issues. Such as the size of rooms, a toilet in every room, size of garden. No Ofsted here, which is good, but obviously I have to keep up with the British National curriculum, as our kids sometimes go back to Britain. There are also many International English schools here. So we have to keep our standards up. We are a small school with 15 in each class. Ages from 2-8 years. We plan to go to 12 years later. Why not visit the web site www.marbellaschool.com I sound like I’m selling don’t I must stop going on. :o

Speak to you soon.

Kind regards

Gill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)