Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ingested Substances

Hi all..

I'm the manager of a private day nursery and haven't been a member of this lovely site for very long. I haven't made many posts, mainly because I've been reading lots of the excellent ideas people are coming up with.

My reasoning for this post is to ask for some advice.. I want to write a policy on ingesting substances which alter the mind; this includes drinking alcohol at lunch time and also substances which are more difficult to detect.

I wonder if anyone can help me out. I'm thinking about what I can do if I suspect someone of drinking or using drugs while they've been on lunch break. How do I prove it? What steps can I take based on a suspicion? Obviously I doubt any staff would own up...does anyone have any experiences they could share to help me? Or a couple of pointers?

Cheers

Michele

Hi micheleGemini,

just curious, is your need to write a policy a kneejerk reaction to suspicions you have about staff having a tipple at lunchtimes?

I state in my staffing Disciplinary and grievance policy, what behaviours would constitute disciplinary action, such as under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It then goes on to describe the procedure, ie: suspension during investigation, written procedures re: allegation of disciplinary misconduct etc.

Good question: How to prove it. This, I suppose, would be dealt with through the investigation.

I am aware that some medication or medical conditions can portray itself with similar symtoms to drunkenness, so this would have to be investigated too. All my staff have to complete a health declaration form, this includes what medication they are taking, or conditions ( ie: diabetis) they have.

Hope this helps although reading back it does seem a bit vague.

Peggy

p.s. I'm not suggesting diabetis sufferers appear drunk, just used that as an example. :o

I had a member of Staff who used to drink the night times and often smelt of drink in the morning. my policy is like Peggy's no drugs alcohol during the time they are working. If you know that they are going to the pub at lunchtime I would try going with them to see what they do drink and maybe then you can say that you don't want any one drinking when they have to come back to work. Drugs is another whole ball game. especially as doctors give out anti-depressants like smarties. you have to rely on them telling you that the doctor has prescribed something. you can always ask and pay for a medical certificate like we used to have done by social services. maybe check with Ofsted on what their medical form is like and what they would advise.

Can't think of any more ideas it always comes down to what some one declares to you. good luck. oh by the way I did confront my staff member and she did have a drink problem. she left not long after.!!!!!

Many, many thanks Peggy and Steph.

Peggy, you're right in the fact that it's a reaction to a suspicion that something is happening in lunch hours, but I suspect more that the two members of staff in question are smoking cannabis than drinking. While bag searching last week, after another member of staff claimed to have lost her mobile phone which she was adamant was about her person until she left her jacket in the staff room (the cleaner later found said phone in the deep freezer, of all places), I found Rizla papers, which, although I'm not clued up in the whole drug use thing, I think are what people use to roll joints. I know the person in question smokes cannabis recreationally on the weekend and for all I know, they could be being used for when she finishes work. I feel though, on the back of this I need a concrete staff policy which details exactly what is permitted and what isn't. You've given me a lot of ideas and I'll forumulate something this weekend.

Steph, we already have health declaration forms, and gosh are they handy :o I've tried going to the pub with them, but they drink soft drinks when I'm there, although I doubt they drink anything more than half a lager when I'm not, I'd still like to stamp it out.

My employer wants to rule that the staff stay on the premises during their lunch hours, but I think this is way too draconian.

Michele

OOoo Michele I don't envy you with this one!! I know many people who smoke cannabis (me not included) who will argue with you til there blue in the face that it's ok!!

Does alter their perception though, you can tell when they have had a smoke, my dad has several employees who use it and they operate machinery, really tricky to prove and to stop happening, but so important that smokers of this drug shouldn't be repsonsible for children, the drug is mind-altering and so how can you be in charge of children whilst under the influence, no doubt some members will disagree or maybe back me up - I have family members who I have given up arguing about smoking cannabis with, it is a lifestyle for some and a normal thing to do, I feel quite strongly about it, makes me feel a bit of a 'goody-two-shoes' but if your perception has been messed with how can you respond quick enough to save a child's life? Or even save them from impending dangers?

I know of a parent who was selling cannabis in our nursery car park in the mornings (a parent was a customer) needless to say they don't do it anymore 'someone' shopped them!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)