Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observation Matrix

Hello all :)

We use the sticker (post it note) system for our observations which are then filed into each child's development folder under each area of the foundation stage.

the problem is we could do with a matrix or grid where the staff can highlight which aspect and stepping stone had been observed and when, so that the staff can see gaps in the observations and then observe the relevent areas.

I hope this makes sense!!!

if any one has anything like this that they would be willing to share with me i would be so grateful as i am going round in circles!!!! :o

That sounds like a great idea, it would save time and we could see at a glance what needs to be observed. Hope some one has a format that could be adapted to suit. If not I'll put it on my to do list which gets longer & longer!!! so don't wait up for it!!!

funny but i thought of the self same thing a week or two ago while i was at home on holiday with nothing to do..

this is what i have come up with ,dont know if it is what you are wanting or if it is of any use to anyone else . still really a work in progress. i think i have all the stepping stones but if anyone spots a mistake please let me know as i have been looking at it for so long now it is starting to blur .

shuttle

blank_stepstones_assessment.doc

Edited by Guest

Hi Mandy,

I devised the attached graph to put in the front of each childs achieveent file, so that staff can look at a glance where their key child is. It is only in Aspects though because I personally feel that stepping stones are not necessarily all covered as they are written, or in the order they are written. Staff colour in the graph, either yellow, blue or green, using notes from achievement files.

This is the example in the PSE column.

The layout includes BTTM as well as FSC.

The information could easily be transfered onto a whole class format, but still use the individual childs information for planning.

Thinking about it he format could also be used to show what areas have been covered in planning, or what areas the children have covered in spontaneous play, or if there are gaps ( areas not coloured in) this would show that observations are required or specific areas of the curriculum need some focus on.

Peggy

p.s. I use the excel graph, I've also attached it in word format as well.

aspects_graph_EXCEL.xls

ASPECTS_GRAPH.doc

I am not clever enough to put my grid on this thread but did a similar one to you (Shuttle), we date and tick the grid and make a comment if necessary when I showed Ofsted they were impressed as it not only highlighted the stepping stone it clearly showed the next step to be planning for development for each individual.

Makes the individual records quite hefty though!!

P.S Whereabouts are you Shuttle, I am in Somerset too??

Edited by Guest

That's fab Peggy THANK YOU xxx! :) - have been 'meaning to' make a grid like that for ages in order to identify gaps in learning , coverage etc. Only prob now will have to relate it to EYFS as we have been chosen to pilot new curriculum.

Thanks again

That's fab Peggy THANK YOU xxx! :) - have been 'meaning to' make a grid like that for ages in order to identify gaps in learning , coverage etc. Only prob now will have to relate it to EYFS as we have been chosen to pilot new curriculum.

Thanks again

Glad it's useful :D

How interesting, piloting the EYFS, be interesting to hear how you get on with it, area's such as working with other settings ( that's if you have any children attending 2 different settings).

All you need now for your EYFS graph is a clip art provider of the little children symbols :oxD:(:(

Just had a thought, you could get children to 'pose', standing like the cartoon pics, take a photo and use these to header each graph column. ( if you know what I mean)

Peggy

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)