Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gymnastics - Reception

Guest Really

Hi,

I am teaching balance to Reception - any ideas how I can do it. So far they have balanced on body parts and worked in pairs. Any other suggestions please? I am on my final TP and am taking over from what the teacher has already started.

It would depend on the resources that you have available to you. I have a reception class and we have used balancing beams and bences to walk along and slide along... so balancing in different ways. I have also drawn lines on the floor... or use a skipping rope so that the children have to balance and move in a straight line one foot in front of the other... a littke safer than beams.

You could maybe set up a course where the children have to move in different ways e.g hop, skip and jump and then balance on some equipment as this movements also develop children's balance.

Hope this helps and good luck on your final TP

Lorna :)

What about balancing bean bags? On their heads and walking around, on their feet, either standing or sitting, on their knees, standing on one leg or sitting with knees bent.

There are lots of things you can do with this activity.

Good luck with your TP.

Linda

Another balancing idea... from the SENCO in my school.... she was watching the motor control of some of my class....

Have 3 children sitting around a hoop... number them 1,2,3 and then they take it in turns to step in to the hoop and out again.... when they have all done this they hold the hoop a couple of inches of the ground and again all have a turn of stepping into it and out of it..... etc you keep going to see how high the children can go and focuses on their balance.

We also left the hoops on the ground and hopped into them and jumped into them.

Takes a little bit of organisation and numbering the children helps as you can say all the number 1 s stand up... step in... step out etc... untill they all forget their numbers!

Lorna :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)