Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily Organisation

hi i am new to this and it has taken me a while to work out what to do!!!! Can anyone tellme how they organise their mornings in the autumn term when the children are only in for the morning -thanks I think I know what to do but just interested

Hello and welcome! I'm in a Day Nursery, so not much use either :o Someone will be able to help, but it might take a while to happen, things always go a bit quiet over the summer break.

Sue

Welcome from me too. :) Have you tried searching the forum for posts last year that may have been about this topic? As Sue says, its always quiet come holiday time and it may be a while before you get many answers.

Hi Magic castle I'm from your neck of the woods. We open at 9.15 have registration at 9.30 Free play until 10.30 approx. toilet run drinks then Keyworker groups until 11.45 with parents picking. our keyworker groups either have story time or a specific attivity that they want to cover, then depending on how the children are they will come together for songs and games. does that help? times are approx. depending on children and weather. we usually go outside during the Keyworker session as our outside area is a little way from our building, so it takes a bit of organizing on staff and children.

Welcome to the Forum by the way you'll soon get used to it, and get addicted like the rest of us.

Hello

We open at 9.15am 9.30am registration and goodmorning/ news time

10 am drinks 10.15 am free play 10.45 keyworker group time 11.15 to 11.40 song/story time These times are approx and are altered to suit events on the day

Tuesday morning the children have from 9.15 to 10 am a tennis lesson, ( we are housed in a health club)then 10am as usual

Thursday morning the children walk to the local library change their books and have a story

Rosina

Hi Magic castle. I will have a mixed R/Y1 class so the day will be organised sligthly differently when the R are in part time.Hipefully, I will have just the reception children when they start in the afternoons for the first week and a half, then they are mornings for a week, and then full-time.

The children can come in from 8.45am, and they settle on the carpet with a book (later in the year, we have visual timetables and sometimes short talking/thinking activities to do on the carpet area). Register is at 8.55. I will do some sort of language based/getting know each other activity (quite short as they may have already been sitting for 10 mins), then child-initiated with perhaps some short group activities for children to do with an adult. Depending on how the morning is running, with concentration/behaviour depends when we stop for another carpet session. We will have a short carpet session/gathering before playtime. Basically, I will do lots of 'where things go' / 'rules of class' type discussions/activities. There will be a playtime with the rest of the class and with Y2, and then some fruit/milk to share. Maybe a short maths focussed session and then child-initiated again, ending with songs/story/game before hometime. The length of time they will sepnd child-initiated/group work will depend a lot on how they are coping/ concentrating.

By the 2nd week, I would like the children to come to a group activity with me or TA when asked. We will start Jolly phonics activities once the children are in full time. Before that one of our carpet sessions will probably be based around the phonic plans that have been posted on here recently (by Kat? I think).

As the majority of our children have been to the nursery class we have a fairly good idea of their likes/needs. We have 3 coming from other pre-schools, and we have had their stepping stones records and additional comments form one of the other groups, and it seems like quite a nice group.

Are you on your own, or do you have a parallel class?

Marie

Thanks for all the great advice I have got so much to think about as I have also been asked to write a set of long term plans which i am finding slightly tricky do you use the stepping stones and then ELGs in the summer term or do they form the learning intention from the autumn I am sure I will be fine just having a major panic!!! As I also have all the medium term and weekly plans to do too!!

There is only me and a TA so it will be hard to have keyworker groups I anticipated doing ashort input sounds /number etc then child initiated possibly with adult led groups for children to come to. Also does anyone do any sort of plan do review type stuff? Should i start JP fairly quickly the teacher I am taking over from only did 2 sounds a week and this doesn't seem enough to me . Thanks for all the help this place is so helpful!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)