Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ideas Needed

Hi there one and all. Hope you are all enjoying the hols :)

right... help needed I am changing our nursery around and want some ideas for our 4 family groups. I would like to give them colour names (red/blue/yellow/green) as our first new topic is colours.

I am trying to think of something else to go with the colours that the children could identify with and maybe get a display going in each area. I was thinking of something like the red apples etc but I'm not inspired :o

can any of you suggest anything that might work?

cheers

apple

After your example, I was thinking along the fruits line - green pears, red apples, blue berries, - but if I was a parent I'm not sure what I would think of my child being a yellow banana or a yellow lemon :oxD

Hi colours are our topic aswell for September, so far I've got as far as choosing colour themed books and I'm planning to do a display based on them. I also thought of doing a treasure hunt around the pre-school for the children to find pictures and objects linked to the books and/or colours of that week.

Karrie

Slightly on a tangent a couple of years ago my groups were called after jungle animals......... elephants, tigers, monkeys and giraffes

At lunchtime when sending the children to get ready no one batted an eyelid until I said will the giraffes go and wash their hands :o and for a full term everyone fell about laughing! Cant think why xD anyway changed the names to colours the next term

I must admit I just use the colours, ie: Red group and Yellow group. I just wouldn't want to be an animal, fruit, veg or anything else.

I find that children are very particular about who they percieve themselves to be, for example many times when counting a line of children you get to child number three, or five, or wherever in the line and he/she will tell me quite indignantly, "No, I'm 4", That is who they are, a 4 year old, not any other number. xD

Peggy

p.s. so now when I count the children I use the language, 1st 2nd 3rd. :o

in my last nursery we called the group after the letterland characters, we had sammy snakes, annie apples and oscar oranges... which was cute....

now we have babies, todds, tweenies, and pre-school... very boring hee hee....

colours sounds good

Dawn

We are starting with colours in September as well and have decided to incorporate shapes as well; red triangles, yellow circles, etc, thought it would give the opportunity of introducing shapes and colours, don't know about being called a square though :oxD

thanks all some nice ideas and top tips there. Karrie I like the idea of the colour books...what ones are you doing? I can think of Mick Inkpens Blue Balloon but not a lot else :o

• 1 month later...

Hi apple,

sorry for the late reply but we went to Ireland to see the out-laws at the end of July and I totally lost track of this post. It's probably too late now for the info, but just in case here goes:

Red

Little Red Hen, Big Red Bath and Ten Red Apples

Blue

The Blue Balloon, Way Down Deep In The Deep Blue Sea and Where are you Blue Kangaroo?

Yellow

Big Yellow Taxi, Little Yellow Digger and Little Yellow Dog

Green

Green Queen, Green Ship and Lost: One Dog, Green

We're then doing two weeks of all the colours using books like Elmer, Winnie the Witch, Carlo Likes Colours, Brown Bear,Brown Bear What Do You See?, Handa's Surprise etc

In the final week we're doing brown - Brown Bear Gets In Shape, Why So Sad, Brown Rabbit? Little Brown Bushrat.

Sorry I can't remember the authors but I'm sure if you google or search amazon they'll come up.

Two sets of books worth looking into are : Little Nippers - Colours in Nature by Barbera Hunter and Colours We Eat Patricia Whitehouse

Sorry again about the late reply

Karrie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)