Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reflective Children

This is an area I have been giving a lot of thought about recently, how best to get childrens views. My daughter was making a thankyou card for her sons teacher and decided to ask Ben, just 5 yrs old What he would like to say to his teacher about all the things he's liked about his 1st year at school. She gave him starting points such as; I like Mr Ramsden because............ My daughter drew speech bubbles all around the card with ben's comments.

My favourite one was when Ben said, " I like Mr Ramsden because he ALWAYS chooses to sit next to me at assembly" ah, bless, he hasn't got a clue about the real reason he has to sit next to the teacher :o

This cheered me up because I personally don't agree with reception children having to attend assemblies, Ben has got a 'reputation' for not being able to sit still ( he is the youngest in the class, July B.Day, yet the highest achiever) In fact last month his teacher spoke to my daughter suggesting he may have ADHD and referred him to the Senco, mainly so that if a syndrome could be diagnosed then the teachers in his next classes would be able to manage him better.

My argument was, What if he isn't diagnosed with anything does that then leave him with the label of being disruptive / naughty, instead of understanding his active learning style?

This anger has dissipated a bit because of Bens comment, his current teacher has obviously not made him feel that he is having to sit with teacher because he can't sit still on his own. lets hope his new teacher is just as tolerant and accepting of his young physical developmental level.

Sorry, off on a tangent, I have been inspired to ask the children at preschool their thoughts over the next few days until end of term, and I shall display their comments in speech bubbles around the room to read in September. :D

Peggy

It is lovely to hear what it is that has had a significant impact from their perspective, however our 2-3yr olds, had circle time to finish our last session and we asked them to hold 'Ted' and think about what they enjoyed about nursery, what they liked, to be fair a few said the toys, but one child said

"I don't like nursery and I don't like Mrs W"! :( (that's not me, thank goodness) which started the remaining children off one other said

"the toilet smells of poo" :o

followed by a butter wouldn't melt in her mouth girl saying

"I liked nursery yesterday but today it is pooh" the circle time went into a poo-type session and as it was our last day and the staff were all pretty tired and ready to finish we had a real job to contain ourselves and regain any kind of composure for the last ten minutes of the session, by the time the parents came in we were all crying with laughter/hystercial/relief at surviving Ofsted and reaching the end of term :D

I don't think I will bubble those phrases and display them xD although on leaving the child who said they didn't like anything gave me the best hug ever - they are just so young and I think we expected too much of them and a little less poo themed comments, nevermind!!

That's a great idea. Peggy we finished yesterday, so too late to do it this year but i will definatley remember that for next year!!

It is lovely to hear what it is that has had a significant impact from their perspective, however our 2-3yr olds, had circle time to finish our last session and we asked them to hold 'Ted' and think about what they enjoyed about nursery, what they liked, to be fair a few said the toys, but one child said

"I don't like nursery and I don't like Mrs W"! xD (that's not me, thank goodness) which started the remaining children off one other said

"the toilet smells of poo" :o

followed by a butter wouldn't melt in her mouth girl saying

"I liked nursery yesterday but today it is pooh" the circle time went into a poo-type session and as it was our last day and the staff were all pretty tired and ready to finish we had a real job to contain ourselves and regain any kind of composure for the last ten minutes of the session, by the time the parents came in we were all crying with laughter/hystercial/relief at surviving Ofsted and reaching the end of term :D

I don't think I will bubble those phrases and display them xD although on leaving the child who said they didn't like anything gave me the best hug ever - they are just so young and I think we expected too much of them and a little less poo themed comments, nevermind!!

I dread to think what they would say about our loos :( ( old hall :( ) I ask the children their views when they are at the snack bar or in the book area, or if a child is in-between activities, rather than at circle time. I do love it though when the 'circle group' go off on one, following other childrens lead.

actually, yesterday, I "went off on one", my grandson came to preschool ( he's finished school for the term), some friends of his from last year were really excited to see him again, running around, showing off and being excitedly silly for the first 15 minutes. My plea's for them to calm down went straight over their little heads, just not possible to contain their excitment.

Once they eventually settled into the circle time and I had their attention, I said very quietly, pointing to Bens tummy, my goodness what is that I can hear?, silence, "Oh no, Ben, your tummy is wiggling, is that a giggle I can see? I then pointed to my tummy, "I've got one too, it's climbing right up to my mouth, " all the children started giggling saying they had one too, then I let out my impression of the laughing policeman, I kept going and going longer than the children could, the staff looked at me as if I'd definately lost my marbles :( , I kept laughing and laughing until all the children were all giggled out and their excitment exhausted. Then I stopped and quietly said, it's time to play now. No more running around as they settled down to play. :wacko: Mind you, I had to rush off to the loo, due to weakened bladder syndrome :rolleyes: :unsure: .............................................. and the loos are poo ;)

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)