Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help

Rea

In two weeks time I will be working more hours in the 2-3 room than any of the staff. Three do job share, but this will mean that observations and any subsequent planning could be mostly down to me. It's not a problem at all, the thing that concerns me is how will the staff like the idea of an agency 'taking over' as it were? I dont want to step on anyone's toes but I'd love to change the room layout a bit and introduce continuous provision. It's a lovely nursery, with lovely staff, but some, from what I have seen are quite set in their ways. No messy play before 10am is just weird. Their planning is quite detailed (although I still havent managed to find most of it) but it tends to focus mostly on what a child cant do rather than what he/she is interested in, and it hurts me. We are planning to do loads of painting this week, because a child asked for paint last week, but I'm not sure when it will happen again. Playdough is only put out if it links with the plans, i.e. to use scissors, (or if I make some). There are only around 7 children at any one time in the room, so obs could be really indepth and interests followed to the ninth degree. I could talk to the management about it but know the room staff should be the ones to discuss any changes with, but I dont see one of them and the other two never together. I think I know where I'm going to go with this but I'd welcome your comments and thoughts. :D

it is a tricky one isnt it but i agree does seem a little odd.what really got to me was the playdough!children of all ages love playdough but 2-3 it is most beneficial isnt it? developing their hand and finger muscles is so important for their writng skills later on.we have it available everyday and the children ask for it if not!

Playdough, paints ect; are standard play things, we put them out every day.

Have you thought about having a meeting out of work time, so you can get together and talk about how you see it ?

Rea

Why are they still employing you through an agency when you are doing so many hours. are you covering for some one who is coming back? If you were going to be permanent I would say go ahead and change, but if you are only for a certain period then knowing how some women can be I would say leave it even though its sounds as though its wrong. good luck what ever you decide

steph