Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Listening Games

I am keen to spend time in the first term developing listening skills. Does anyone know any good listening games

Show the children some objects, musical instruments, or other things that make a noise, let them explore them and then hide them in a bag. Shake each object and see if they know what it is. I havent done it myself for an age but it worked fairly well with some 3 and 4 yr olds. It can help to have two of each object so while one is hidden one can still be shaken by the children so they can explore. Sound tapes are good too if you've got any or you can make your own using everyday sounds in your setting. Give commands but change them to see if everyone is listening, on your marks, get set, stop/run/hop etc. Simon says or I like to change the name or use a teddy/puppet. :D

first term back with our older ones (that were are younger ones and still seem so the first term I think!) I always use a puppet for register/group time he is a pelican and has a squeaker in him if the children are listening and say yes then he talks to them. It is great for getting their attention.sometimes we sing the register sometimes we whisper,sometimes I will describe a child and they all have to guess who.

Also musical statues/bumps and stop and go games.

Similiar to Rea, Also listen to environmental sounds, whistle, bell, sandpaper scraping dripping water/splashing water, or electrical sounds hairdryer, door closing, vacuum cleaner etc

You can progress to sounds like hand claps, jumping, etc.

We use taped sounds for electrical and environmental sounds,but I try to have all objects for children to handle or pictures of objects for discussion alongside the sounds

I recomend Foundations Of Literacy for loads of good ideas by Sue Palmer and Ros Bailey which I think is brilliant

Posy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)