Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Cursive Writing

I have an International school here in Spain, we follow the National Curriculum.

I have just finished our term here where I taught Reception children. One little girl has just left to go back to England; she has just started a new school there. The little girls best friends mother informed me that her new school think her reading and maths are excellent but her writing is behind, as they teach cursive writing from the start. We teach our students here to print from nursery age, and then they go on to cursive writing in year 1. All my Reception students are writing quiet well.

Please help I am in a real quandary here.

:o

I am sure you should not worry estepona. I feel it is more important that children learn to form their letters correctly and then they can progress to join once they are physically ready. We use the cripps handwriting scheme which leads the children into joined handwriting formation as they progress towards or into year one (it is a bit like sassoon font)

And if you teach them to join you will have someone complain about that!

As long as you are teaching precursive, with a leadout flick and not just ball and stick, your children will not suffer. The basic letter formation that they then have will allow them to develop any style with time.

Dont worry.

Many thanks girls, you have put my mind at rest. My other teachers say they know how I feel. One mother complained last month, saying that her daughter has made no progress at all this term. You can imagine how she felt. The mother spoke to her yesterday, saying how wonderful she was and that her daughter is so happy. You can’t win!

Thanks again

Gill

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)