Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Foundation Stage Consulation Meeting

I am to attaend a meeting on the new early years foundation stage tomorrow. Does anyone know much about this?

Apparently they want our views and comments - araghh!

Yes went to a meeting a couple of weeks ago.

The difference will be it brings in the BTTM as part of the foundation stage. From what I understood we would still have the stepping Stones but slightly tweeked on what they are now.

We were told that our Advisory teachers had the next year to be "taught" the new format then they had a year to teach us. I do know that anyone will be able to go to the training for the New foundation stage, it is not restricted to who can do it but you have to find out the venues from the Dfes I think. I was thinking of going to do it myself rather than wait for the advisory teachers to cascade it down to us. will let anyone know if I hear more.

The most important thing about the consultation is that there are parts of the document that you may not agree with and it is only at this stage that it can be changed, the EYFS (after consultation) will become "in law" / "Stautory".

I went to a consultation recently which was for an hour, certainly not enough time for anyone who has not seen the document to read, take in and comment on ( I felt it was a total waste of time). I had read the document and I had hoped to hear others views on what they had read, I was disappointed that even the organisers were not very familiar with the contents.

Parts of the document state what we will have to do, written as 'must' throughout the document, and details things that we 'should' do, should, will not be statutory but will be expected, I can only assume that we will be expected to justify why we are doing something any other way than the proposed 'should' in future Inspections.

In short, the document is, in my mind, in parts, very dictatorial. For example, there will be a requirement to 'plan with' other providers if a child is attending more than one setting. yes, good idea in theory, but how will this be managed in parctice?, this will become a requirement if no one objects at this consultation stage.

Lots more to consider,, I just wanted to point out the importance of this opportunity we all have at the consultation stage, if we don't give our INFORMED views now,( ie: read and know the document), then when it is mandatory, we have no right to complain.

Peggy

I agree with it in principle i.e. taking both BTTM and FS together but there are some quite prescriptive measures as Peggy has suggested. Very clear guidelines on the teaching of phonics, children to be outside every day, if no out door play area then a trip out every day - although this one is not statutory it is on the "should" list. Having experienced a pile of problems with my nature walks whereby we had to stop them temporarily as we had assessed some safety issues, its a nightmare organising it for just one day a week, if I had to do it daily then I would definitely give up. I am lucky as I have an outdoor area so it doesn't really affect me but for those who don't - do they realise just how problematic this will be although in practice you could walk with 1:8 we couldn't manage with 1:3 without safety issues coming up. there are several other changes, the consultation ends on the 28th of this month. From what I have heard they seem to have run out of printed sets so how we are supposed to complete consultation I don't know - I got mine a while ago so I can comment on it and will do. Can I urge everyone else to do the same too - interesting the made the cut off time the end of term when everyone is really busy or am I just be a cynic.

Nikki

Thanks, have read the document through, although not sure I've fully digested it! The consulation is for two hours tomorrow evening and I will let you know how it goes. I definitely think this document should have been sent to every setting. It's appaling to think some people are not aware of it and threfore get no say. :o

I also went to a meeting to discuss and comment on a document that no one had seen or read!!! We had 45 minutes and spent most of it in total dibelief that we were being asked to do this. We had one copy of the document between a group of 5/6 people! What a farce! But the 'advisors' will be able to to tick the box that says 'we consulted with our staff'!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)