Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception To Year 1 Transition

I'd be really grateful for some advice - I'm beginning a new post in September with a year 1 class - it's my first teaching post and my teaching practices have been in nursery at the beginning of the year and Y1 at the end of the year. I'm a bit worried because I've done very little observation at the beginning of Y1 and don't really know if I should be teaching a very formal numeracy/literacy hour and foundation subjects in the afternoon or having a focus activity and free choice type days - I'd be interested to know what other people day and any top tips for the first week? I' m really excited about my post and want to get off to a good start!

Any advice would be great - thanks.

Rosa

Year 1 should be working very much the same as they were at the end of reception (60% adult directed and 40% child initiated) but this is very much down to how the school wants you to work. Good Luck in the new job

Have to agree with Marion that you will need to ask in school but if you havent read them, "Smooth transitions" and "Making it work in year 1" could be worth a read and may enable you to be more play based than formal even if school require that approach. Have you not picked up any vibes?

Good luck and congrats on the job.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)