Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Packs For New Children?

Hi im a reception teacher and just wondering if any one sends out packs for the CHILDREN who will be starting in september? I thought it may be a nice idea but unsure of what to include? does anyone do this who wouldn't mind sharing their ideas? thanks x

Although I am not in a school, we still send out Welcome Packs for our children. They generally include a few important policies/procedures, general information about the pre-school, clothes labels for the children, providing we know when they are due to start. If they start before we can order their labels, we do so once they have already joined us. We also give each child a pre-school buddy, which is generally a cheap soft toy, that they can use if they are frightened or upset. Some children use them all the time, others relegate them to the back of the toy cupboard!

I have found that the parents appreciate this little thought. We try to choose their toy based on an interest they have, that we have previously garnered from the parents. However this is not always possible, it depends on what the pound shop is selling that day!

The clothes labels idea is really good, because they are easy to use, plus they act as a gentle reminder to the parents that it makes life a whole lot easier if their child's clothes are properly labelled.

We only have a limited budget (who doesn'?) so we have to be careful about costings etc. I think a welcome pack for a child starting school is a lovely idea. As a parent, I would be pleased to have information specific to the class my daughter was going to be in, as well as general information about the school, term dates, contact numbers etc.

Good luck with your search, I hope you find some inspiration! Sorry I couldn't help you more!

We provide a selection of activities for the children to choose to borrow from. They include things like language games, small world, contruction, fine motor activities and mathematical games.

Hi there - i recently started (Feb) in my current setting - large school - 3 form entry plus nursry (78 part time places) & have just finished doing all the induction stuff for both nursery & reception (have made mental notes about re-organising a few bits for next year!!!!!), anyway, 1 thing that i introduced for the new reception chdn (who are coming to us from other settings - not our nursery) is a photograph book - very simple - just with thye pictures of their class teacher / other adults they will seee in the reception unit - different areas & activituies they can do etc - I have been & visited these chdn in their current settings & took the books & gave them to them then - it was a good 'ice breaker' to use with those who were a bit unsure of me!!!!!!!!! Anyway - babbling on now - but the books seem to have gone down well with both the children & the staff at the settings i have visited - will develop it for next year. I also did a laminated A5 size namecard (the children's name in 'outline' at the top & then free space for them to explore writing it independently underneath, for all the reception children & put these into the parents information packs (with a whteboard pen!) which they recieved when they came to the obligatory 'induction information meeting' - again this system is up for review next year!!

Only a couple of quick ideas but hop they are of use! :o

An idea for nexy year may be to get the parents in on sessions the children attend school for visits. With my third child i went in and we made things personalised to them. We drew laminated and cut for example,

* names, and then cut the letters up into a puzzle

* number lines with added picture of things they like

* simple reception starter word board, with seperate words to

match up to the ones on the board

* shape boards as with the above

For this year:

* all about me books for children to fill in with parents help, to

show teachers when they start school

* print outs of simple uniformed children to be coloured in the

school colours and if bughet allows, send the relevant colour

crayons with it

* a small sticker sheet

My daughter is just going into reception this year and we got a pack which included

The school prospectus - which included all information about school, staff, curriculum, what to do if your child is sick etc

Information about the before and after school clubs and how to book

Information about what happens when they start school i.e. where to go on their first day, what times they start and finish.

Information about uniforms and pe kits

Contact details forms and consent forms for me to sign and return

A pack for my daughter with a paintbrush and a leaflet with ideas for using it e.g painting with water, paint etc - and also how to make play dougn and other suggestions of activities to do with the children during the holidays (in particular talking to them!)

This all came in a carrier bag with the school logo on

Hope this helps

Sue

Thank you all so much for these fab ideas - we have already sent out prospectus and info about school day etc but just wanted some ideas for the children really. Will deffo use the photo album and all about me and colouring in uniform etc thanks again your ideas are fab! xx

We give each child a goodie bag with a special Reception Starter pack (we have no nursery attached) a booklet with photos of the staff and routine info and FAQ, number line to 10, 100 square, reception high frequency words, childs name in school script, set of dominoes, pack of cards and two dice (which we use in the class a lot and we send home throughout the year little cards with games to play, with cards etc, ideas.) All appreciate it and now every child from Rec to y3 so far has a basic set of maths equipment at home to use. This is all explained at our new parents evening before term starts and has received positive feedback.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)