Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview For Managers Job

HI

i got an interview for the managers job at my nursery, my interview is next monday at 1 o clock, i have to prepare a short presentation for a staff meeting i can choose from 1 of the following

1) The nursery's up and coming OFSTED inspection

2) Birth to 3

3) Foundation stage

4) Behaviour management

so hmmm, which to choose, i work in pre-school so i thought it may be 'obvious' if i talked about the foundation stage (and the director already knows my awareness/capabilities with FS), and may be more beneficial for me to perhaps step out of my comfort zone and try and show my awareness of one of the other 'areas'.

My deputy manager is also going for the job and also has an interview she is going to do her presentation on behaviour management. My deputy manager is not a very OFSTED type person, nor does she like paperwork (why again is she applying for the managers job??????)so i thought id maybe jump in with the OFSTED question perhaps.

There are two other applicants whom we know nothing about so im not sure what they will do (not sure its relevant anyhow really!) :o

so if i did the OFSTED bit, i have to remember im aiming it at the staff, so would go about it by talking briefly about what OFSTED would be looking for (mention the standards), how our every day practices reflect what OFSTED require of us and any areas that we should be paying special atention to / extra consideration for.....

does that sound okay(ish) obviously i need to plan it properly....

also what questions may i expect to be asked of me for interview?

any help greatly appreciated.

Dawn

Hi Dawn

I have been on recent SEF courses (self evaluation) and the hot topic for ofsted at the moment seems to be completing self evaluation forms and action planning improvements for your setting. Do you know about this?

These should be completed at least once a term by all staff in your setting. We evaluate and reflect as a team. On the course they recommended allocating each member of staff to look at each area and come up with ideas for improvements e.g one member of staff looking at Being Healthy and making changes to the snack-time routine to improve this.

If I had to do a presentation on ofsted to my staff I would base a lot of it on SEF.

Good Luck! :D

Edited by nicki-k

Hi dawn

i recently went for manage interview

here are a few questions i can remember that i was asked....

why do you want the job?

where do you see the nursery in 3 months... 1 year ... 3 years

How would you impress ofsted.... what would ofsted wnat to see in your nursery

boys and girls learning..... how would you cater for needs etc

one thing you changed .... how...

its so hard to remember now :)

i also went on a course recently which was really inspiring and the head who took

the course talked about having a 'vision' for your foundation stage - think it might be a nice way to start the interview

good luck hope it helps x

Nicki beat me to it,

By covering OFSTED under the Every child matters 5 outcomes you would also touch on FS & BTTM within the outcome Enjoying and Achieving ( double whammy :D )

Also as it is about a topic for a staff meeting, the subject of Self Evaluation Form needs to be on the agenda every term. maybe you could print off an SEF and score the Nursery as you see it now, then describe what actions you would envisage for improvements. but remember to also praise the areas of the practice that is good. Maybe do one example of praise and one example of development under each outcome, thus showing you understand how the SEF works.

Good Luck for Monday.

Peggy

ps There is lots about the SEF, plus example formats for recording the self evaluation in the forum, try a search under SEF.

That's excellent news - I am so chuffed for you.

I can guess what you'll be doing with your weekend!

Do whatever you feel most comfortable with for your presentation. Once you actually sit down to plan it then you will find that your ideas don't stop coming. I always find it hard to stick to the presentation time!

In one presentation I did, I took examples of snippets of Ofsted reports from the Internet and discussed them, in relation to what my presentation was about. This may or may not be appropriate to yours??

Interview questions you may get asked are:

What is your vision for the nursery?

How will you deal with stepping up from a senior to the manager, in a staff team that you already know?

Your deployment of staff, e.g. I got asked about BTTM, which is not my area at all, and I said that I would use the expertise of another member of the team to take the lead on this;

Policy questions;

How you will ensure good communication and good team work;

Involvement of parents;

Finance questions, e.g. dealing with a parent who doesn't pay;

You may get asked a scenario question about staff behaviour, e.g. what would do you if..?

Read back through your application before you go in, and take time to think about each question before answering.

Lots and lots of luck -am dead excited for you !!!