Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Anyone Elses Staff Been Suffering From Mondayitis?

:( Has anyone else had this problem today? Our level of children in today meant we needed a minimum of 7 staff without covering lunches, nappy changes, breaks etc.. Today 4 of our staff decided to get a syndrome called 'It's 32C and sunny and I have mondayitis'?????!!!

Grrrr. Only 4 of us managed to get in today. 1 admittedly has conjunctivitis... yuck but fair enough but the other excuses were... migraine, a rough night and not too good!!!! They all know that Mondays is the day where we have alot of staff at college so it is the day we cannot call on our normally reliable staff having a day off. xD Oh and the only student due in today was being sick. And another miraculous thing is the 3 (without yucky eyes) all have made an excellent recovery and are all able to come back tomorrow! We were really lucky though as one of our parents dropped her daughter in and saw we were short staffed and offered to stay and help out. She is a qualified childminder but bless her.. 6 months pregnant and looking like she is about to drop any minute - she's HUGE (can't believe she's not due till Oct :oxD ). Not nice for her to have to work in todays heat. :wacko: (I did offer her daughters shift for free in a way of payment though so at least she got something as she refused payment). We also luckily got the lady that runs the office at our owners other business (a factory not nursery) in to help and one of the staff knew of a girl that is lvl 2 that was able to come in. I owe a great big thanks to them all. Even all of our bank staff were busy or not answering their phones today. I called the agency but they had no-one too..

Anyway rant over :(:(

Just wondering if anyone else has also had staff going down with the same 'bug'???

Edited by Guest

Well, I've got a bit of a confession; :wacko:

I own my business, not on ratio ( employ a manager). My step daughter is the deputy manager, we celebrated / drowned our sorrows on Saturday, it was my sons 23 rd Birthday on Sunday ( all day BBQ) and at about 5pm Sunday, my step daughter, who hadn't got home all weekend due to the above, asked for Monday off ( I do the school run for her and her son - take her to work, then her son to school) I didn't particularly relish the thought of getting up at 7am, so, as we are overstaffed on a Monday ( I employ extra staff to enable non-contact time for paperwork) said, yes, she could have the day off, at home, as long as she spent most of the day finishing her records of transfers. She poured herself another lager............................phone rang, another member of staff reported a torn ligament and would be off for 2 weeks xD .

Change of plan, my deputy could not have the day at home and although I had today 'at the office' I shall have to go in tomorrow to cover staff absences. :(

That'll teach me to practice nepotism and circumstances allowing, would have let my daughter (step- I hate that term) take the day off :(:(

So, am I guilty as charged? or do I get remission because I changed the plan and I am putting all other ( admin) work aside to cover tomorrow for other staffs absences?

Peggy

p.s. I totally agree that you should be feeling :o that so many staff were not in today.

Well as you say you are overstaffed on a Mon (like we are the rest of the week), and you are doing all you can tomorrow to cover absences and it sounded like your 'daughter' would have needed today off (shame she didn't get it as planned though). If I had a busy weekend like that I'd be needing a day off too.

Lol.. Plus your 'daughter' would have been working at home so let off on remission... Not guilty.

As for the staff due back tomorrow.. Well - Just hope I'm in a better mood tomorrow. :o

You've now got me thinking though - We are nicely overstaffed (or at least should be) tomorrow and how tempting for me to bring my work home (yawn as usual) and spend the day here doing it instead! :D:D Would make a nice change for me to stay at home and get paid instead of cramming paperwork in after son has gone to bed at night.

Hope thought that you don't get Mondayitis's sister bug Tuesdayitis going round tomorrow!

xD

we don't have mondayitis, but we do have 'its hot, were hot, we can't be bothered, we will do nothing itis'.... our staff think that because its hot work stops, crafts don't need doing, observations fall by the wayside, planning means absoloutly naff all because the children are outside most the day and the staff think its a chance to sunbathe, catch up on the gossip and ignore the children because they are happily playing freely outdoors... hmmmmmmm

then you have the staff that insist on seeing if they can get in the children's cars / bikes even tho i (the senior) tell them not to they look at me and comment ' but i want to see if i can fit' and continue to sit down ahhhhhhh... so in that instance i choose to treat her like a child and told her ' i will count to three for you to get out the car otherwise you and i will be having a chat in the office' needless to say she got out, but how annoying are some staff!!!!

anyway sorry moan over

Dawn

Me again.. I sympathise there about the 'it's too hot do do anything itis'.. No Tuesdayitis today but much of the 'it's too hot'. We had 3 staff decided to sit down in there room, feet in paddling pool while the room looked liked a swimmingpool.. 4 different members of staff tried to get them to clear up and do something contructive like 'er' interact with the kiddies or observe.. It ended up me going out there and having words. :(

I love the bit about treating them like children when staff continue to ignore you.. 1,2,3 count then if no response then in the office.. xD

I'll have to try that tactic tomorrow and let you know how I get on. :o