Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Ideas

hi

im in process of regigging our long term plans. trying to think of new and exciting topic ideas that specificially lend themselves to practical touchy feely activities as i work with special needs. has any one got any ideas or anything that worked particularly well for them this year.

thanks

also if anyone could share their long term plan so I can see the format that people use that would be great. (Im NQT starting in sept and slightly nervous about getting everything right!!)

jo

I remember years ago we did one on bears it was fab!! This is going back 14 years, but I might still have some of the planning notes! :o:D

spots and stripes went down with my lots. surprising what you can find that has spots or stripes.

animals,bugs,umbrellas,clothes,fish,kites,patterns on plates,

sure we had a lot more but it has been a very long week and planning all at work . could have a look next week for you if required

Like you we have to plan sensory activities and have had some lovely responses from a few new things that we have done. The best has been Mrs Honeys Hat - and set up another room with a boat and lots of sensory materials to represent sand and sea. On the 'sand' were lots of shells, crabs etc and in the sea lots of fish and sea creatures. We had a boat (sand tray). We had on a classical piece of music on by Mendelssohn which was great for a stormy sea. In the class room we did the story and they tried on lots of different hats and then we told them we were going to the sea side and that they would need their buckets and spades so that we could collect things to decorate Mrs Honeys Hat. We put little plastic hats on their heads and took them into the other room. Some of them were in the boat and we rocked it about as if they were on a stormy sea and we splashed water on them. The children are all between P2ii and P4 and it was absolutely fab they had a great time. The Carribean or Africa are quite good topics to link in with sensory activities. Can't think of too many at the mo at the top of my head but will come back to you.

Hi there,

Can't say I have any plans to share on this in particular, but have worked in special schools on art projects lending themselves to tactile experiences. Things that spring to mind are possibly simple, going onto open ended and then .... bang into anything possible! For example, looking at what is 'hard' and soft', wet or dry....

You could look at all sorts of materials and let the children take the lead in your planning depending upon their responses and knowledge.

Don't know if that helped? All the best, skylight

Jop

Just remebered this fantastic site that might help. Have posted elsewhere in relevant topics also, but thought you may miss it. Think it will be right up your street to help!

Try this... Follow the link to Sanday nursery 'going on a bear hunt' there's a powerpoint presentation filled with brillant ideas.

You'll have to scroll through there prospectus to relevant page to find link.

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/earlyyearsmat...tcm4-282743.pdf

If it doesn't work (link) search for sanday nursery + scotland and follow your nose!

Try this... Follow the link to Sanday nursery 'going on a bear hunt' there's a powerpoint presentation filled with brillant ideas.

You'll have to scroll through there prospectus to relevant page to find link.

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/earlyyearsmat...tcm4-282743.pdf

If it doesn't work (link) search for sanday nursery + scotland and follow your nose!

thanks everyone for your suggestions. If anyone has got their planning handy that would be great to see!

Any other topic ideas welcomed-need a two year programme.

thanks

jo

Sorry we're not high tec so no planning I can attach but topics done in our LEA for foundation Stage include: Colour my world, Homes, Animals, People who help us, Ourselves, Growing and changing, Journeys and Bears, Food ( this comes up twice so we tend to do one in summer one year and do salads, fruit,etc and one winter the next year, soups, hot food etc )- enough to create a 2 year rolling programme if you are in a FSU

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)