Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lacking Experience

Lucie

hi guys,

I'm thinking of sending a letter to the nurseries in my area asking them if i can do a bit of work experience there. Im qualified level3 and at uni at the mo doing BA early childhood and education studies. But when i did my level 3 i did all of the placements in a school so would like a bit more experience of younger children.

I feel a bit guilty really bc my qualification is obviously 0-8 but i haven't got any childcare experience of children under 3 (except family and friends) and so would like to extend on this.

Im just wondering if you think i will have any joy?

Ideally Id like to go somewhere a bit more permanent so that when im on a long holiday, like i am now i can spend more time in the setting increasing my skills.

i keep thinking to myself that it will be all well and good when i get to the end of my degree - (and decide whether i want to teach or not), but i will be lacking in experience.

If you got a letter asking this what would you do?

:)

laura x

Hi Laura! I worked in a nursery for 3 years and we were always crying out for highly qualified staff! I don't think you will have a problem getting experience and it is certainly different from a school setting! The nursery employed a lot of holiday cover staff as some people only worked during the term time (family comittments). I think you should go for it and it will definitley give you a better understanding of how children learn in their early (most vital in my opinion!) years.

Go for it and good luck!

Sallie x

With the onset of the transformation fund and every setting to have a graduate in place I would advise all degree students to try and get some experience in a setting . I am in the process of interviewing and have found a lack of experience in the graduates that are applying for nursery nurse positions. Funding is available for help with salary from September so all graduates should apply asap to private settings in their area

Does anyone have any advice for graduates who may be in one post but have limited or no experience of other setting types? Clearly they wouldn't want to leave their post to do this, so how to people envisage these individuals will fill in the missing gaps - by short secondments perhaps?

Perhaps to get the settings to talk more so we can all learn off each other and perhaps to share our staff and experience and knowledge.