Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice Needed On Biting

Hi all

Hope you are all well. Not been on for a while. Have moved house and i don't have interent connected to only get on when i get a spare minute at work.

In September we have a boy joining our reception class with a habit of biting. i have met with his keyworker form nursery and the photgraphs of the bites she has shown us are horrendous. At the moment he is being assessed for an increase in his statmented hours. He has severe behavioural difficulties. Basically i have never worked with a child who bites so often and so severely. Was just wondering if anyone had any advice?

Thanks in advance Lola

I have a child in my Reception class with ASD that bites me or other adults quite frequently. The bite mark I had on my shoulder last week was horrible, it went blue! The only thing we find that works with him is 'the boring chair'. Everytime he does something like biting or hurting another child he is taken out of the room to sit on a boring chair which is away from any distractions...a bit like on supernanny. This obvioulsy doesn't prevent the biting but gives him and the staff some time to chill out and recover!

We also bought a book called 'teeth are not made for biting'. We read it with him at the beginning of each week and remind him of how much it hurts when we bite. We talk about what are teeth are for and all of the lovely things we can eat using them! The biting has begun to reduce but has not yet totally stopped. Another strategy we use once a child is actually biting you or someone else (thats if they have clamped their teeth around you and will not let go!) is to put your hand into an L shape and put the L (your finger and thumb) in front of the mouth which releases the grip and the child will let go. This is a strategy that we have had proper training for though!

Not sure if any of this will help or if I have just panicked you even more!

We use 'Teeth are not for biting' and persona dolls to address biting incidentes- and they usually have an effect :o . BUT in the case of a child with specific behavioural problems you may need advice from the behaviour suppourt unit in your area.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)