Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice On Profile Scores Needed

Hello

Wondering if I can have some advice please. This is my first year at my current school (2nd Year teaching) and today when I went to my headteacher with the profile scores she seemed disappointed that they have not all completed all the goals! I personally feel that they have achieved well and I know I have read somewhere that the average is about 6 for most areas whcih is where they mostly are!

Can someone give me some guidence please. I know there are lots of topics on here regarding scores but I would still really appreciate some help!

Many Thanks

Hi Katie

have you been entering your scores onto the eprofile half termly or even termly? If you have then you could print the graphs showing the childrens progress in components from Autumn A to the end of the FSP that way your head will see the progress that they had made. Some children may not achive all goals but it is important that you are able to say why and for what area/points. I know I did this a couple of years ago looking at point 5 on K & U (asking questions...). By analysing the data in this way it helped me to identify strengths and weaknesses not only in the childrens learning but in my teaching. I have since addressed this one particular point, and the results of the past 2 years on this point have been much better (there was also a direct knock on effect to reading point 8- non- fiction texts)

SO dont worry KAties. go back to your eprofile and use it as a tool for your own learning, your head will be more than happy to have such a reflective practioner on her staff :o

Thanks very much ; I will print the graphs off in the morning. I had not thought of them! I just feel that I am being seen as failing as they have not all finished the goals! Very stressed about it!

Hey, Apple, point 5 K&U I find very difficult to score - most of the children just seem to accept what they see and don't ask questions. I would love some tips...

Hi Aspk

our children are not from langauge rich backgrounds so it takes us many weeks/months to build up the idea of what a question is through modelling. We intially model lots of different questions for them to answer and then eventually they are ready to have a go at asking ones themselves. We have a number of different strategies that we have built inot our planning that addresses this area. Too tired now to go into :o but if you need to know more I shall try and get back to you. one book I reccommend highly is a publication from Lawrence Education 'Helping young children to ask questions' its published by the company that market Beat baby and Lola etc. It's by a teacher from Jersey and it is fantastic.

Thanks Apple, I will look out for it.

We do model lots of questioning and encourage the children to ask questions, but they don't do it spontaneously :o

(I've even tried showing them magic tricks!!!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)