Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily Record Sheets

There is a bit of hoo ha! (for want of a better word!) re the daily sheets we give to parents,

We give one to the parents of under 2s showing sleep food milk etc and the daily activity,

2-3 sheets just dont seem to be right?.

We dont give daily sheets for 3-5 years unless they stay for the day

Are we on the right track?

Does anyone please have a copy of a sample daily record sheet which is used at Nursery?

I have a staff meeting tomorrow and would like to have something to show please help?

Hi Sharonash.

At the nursery where I was deputy manager, we gave the parents daily record sheets for under 2s as per Ofsted, but didn't for the other groups, unless parents specifically requested them.

What we did use, however, was a sheet that gives the first name of the child, what they had eaten and a few activities they had participated in and this was displayed on the door so the parents could see what their child had eaten/done during the day.

I will try and attach the sheets... :o

Sounds to me to be an impossibilty to hand out 26-30 sheets every day on what a child did. Not very eco friendly either, what a waste of paper. If there are significant achievements that have taken place then this would be written up in the plan and relayed to the parent verbally. Otherwise you would be forever copying things for parents. I would say that the keyworker should perhaps be responsible for doing a detailed tracking record every so often for the parent if they want that information, but do they really want it. I can understand the emphasis on sharing daily information for the U2's but for the 3-5 year olds this is I believe unmanageable and counterproductive - far better to carry out detailed and meaningful observations than spending time copying sheets for parents unless they specifically state they want a daily activity form. Perhaps someone else will have a different outlook

Nikki

I agree with you Nikki, I'm all for sharing information with parents, but like you say, do they really need to / want to know these details, what do they actually do / gain from this information? :o

We try to converse verbally at pick up time. We talk about new friends, funny anexdotes, new achievements, effort, and other positive things.

Peggy

Pre-school have a board outside their room sectioned into the different areas of learning. Each section has an A4 laminated piece of white card on it, and each day a staff member writes what activity they did in pre-school in that area of learning.

There is also a sheet that goes up to say what each child ate for lunch, snack, etc.

Anything more than that gets discussed with the parent if necessary.

Thanks claire for the samples much like we have

I aso agree totally with your other comments and this is what I say to my parents.

I think perhaps parents are unsettled as we have changed the planning from being quite structured to free flow with not much planning at the moment due to us observng the children in the workshop areas.

Do you all have these workshop areas?

We used to have a room for 2-3yrs and another for 3-5 now we are all mixed. Its pretty unorganised and driving us potty. We have put up on a laminated sheet our activities etc but parents dont read noticeboards do they!

We ve also been told to completely change our long term plan and now are medium term plan is in these worshop areas- so not so much on display in the hallway.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)