Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Open Eveing Ideas?

hI EVERYONE

NEXT THURSDAY WE ARE HAVING A WHOLE SCHOOL OPEN EVENING.. WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY GOOD IDEAS TO SHARE ABOUT WHAT MIGHT HAVE WORKED FOR THEM BEFORE?? AM WORKING ON MY DISPLAYS.. JUST KEEN TO SEE IF THERES ANYTHIN ELSE I COULD DO TO MAKE THE EARLY YEARS STAND OUT!!!!!

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE :)

Hi,

How about setting up some interactive activities so that parents can see how 'play' equals 'learning' - playdough for maths - long, short, fat, thin etc, water tray with ice cubes for KUW, sand on a tinfoil covered tray for mark making etc.... hopefully it will encourage them to contunue doing some activities at home (you could provide 'recipe' cards for gloop, playdough, bubbles etc if you have them and some suggested activiites/extensions to what is being done in your unit)

You could do some explanation cards for the parents to show how the ELGs are met.

Photographs and observations are always good as are 'what they said' comments from the children when they had a 'Eureka!' moment and they discover something new.

Hope this helps highlight to parents what an important role early years is in a child's life :o

RB x

At my school there was a competition to keep the little ones amused, and to tempt the parents into every classroom. A rubber duck was hidden in every room, and the children had sheets with outlines of rubber ducks on them. When they found a rubber duck they coloured one it. It kept them amused and out of mischief!! At the end they got a lolly pop!

I did a Get messy session the other day with my parents. I put out a range of activities from fluffy sand, to playdough - glittery, muddy, smelly to shaving foam, cornflour, finger painting, mashed potato, jelly with insects etc and put them out with a number of other things they could use it with - garlic presses, knives, flowers, pasta, plastic animals etc etc - I also drew up a spidergram with messy play in the middle with the areas of learning on the outside - I then put stickers under a selection of chairs asking the parents to go to that particular activity and think in terms of what the activity might generate and later on after they all had played they came back and popped in onto the spidergram which was on a huge piece of paper - stressing the importance that there was No right or wrong answer. Parents really like this - this activity was devised by some local health visitors to introduce parents to messy play - worked a treat - interactice, informative got people chatting in an informal atmosphere - took a bit of time to set up but well worth it .

Nikki

Hi Nikki

We've had the messy play ladies in as well :D They are coming in again next week to do a sand and water session - I can't wait...

They were very good, although there was nothing there that we didn't really do before the way they delivered it worked really well for my parents - just added another dimension - ASPK where do you work again? I think I may have asked this before - senility setting in fast at this time of year.

Great ideas already given so not sure I can add much else. Just reminds me of an initial parents evening we had very early in the school year, when parents didn't really know each other, and there was little evidence of children's 'work' to show - other than the annotated photos on display. I put out a variety of construction kits on the tables and a challenge to the parents to make a model for their children. Many of the parents gave me an odd look, but by the end of the evening I had a variety of models which we put on tables. We made sure we left labels for the parents to write their name and a caption for what their model was. The children loved looking at the models. One dad said he couldn't make a model, but wrote a lovely note to his son.

Good luck

Harricroft

I have an interactive whiteboard in my class and either leave that on to be explored or have a power point running on which I've put the children's photos from the past year. This is lovely as you get lots of 'ooh I remember that' and 'Look mummy thats when we did...' the photos look great too because they are huge, awe and wonder! provokes lots of discussion too.

Liz

They were very good, although there was nothing there that we didn't really do before the way they delivered it worked really well for my parents - just added another dimension - ASPK where do you work again? I think I may have asked this before - senility setting in fast at this time of year.

Hi, just found your question! I work in an infant school in Surrey.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)