Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children With More Than One Language

Provide activities, equipment and materials to extend and reinforce the children's language and communication development

R10 - With more than one language

Gone through all the textbooks and I can't seem to find anything related to children with more than one language.

Ideas and advice on this one would be more than welcome

Much appreciated!

Oh and I completed C5 last night!!!!! Glad to see the back of that unit! :D

Provide activities, equipment and materials to extend and reinforce the children's language and communication development

R10 - With more than one language

Gone through all the textbooks and I can't seem to find anything related to children with more than one language.

Ideas and advice on this one would be more than welcome

Much appreciated!

Oh and I completed C5 last night!!!!! Glad to see the back of that unit! :D

These are just off the top of my head and you may come up with something better but its been one of those mornings so here goes...!

Role Play area - different settings, including cultural clothes, food items/boxes (pretend, obviously!). eating utensils,

Dual Language books and labels around the room both in english and the first language, along with pictures

Cultural music, with words or without

Puppets and dolls (cultural again) to encourage the children to speak 'through' them.

Malleable and creative activites e.g. cornflour to develop key words such as wet, dry etc and painting (children can communicate in any language when painting!)

Finger rhymes and action songs (in different languages where possible).

Sorry, not much help... :o you probably know all of these already.

However, there is a quote I have found that might be of help to you:

"Providing Comprehensible Input

This phrase, used by Stephen Krashen, means enabling the child to make sense of what is being said. If an adult picks up a cup, points at the jug of orange juice and asks 'Would you like a drink of orange juice?' the meaning is clear. If the adult just says the words without the actions and the props, the meaning is not at all clear to the child. The adult could be saying anything.

Allowing for a Period of Silence

At first there is often a period of silence on the part of the child, while he or she listens to all the sounds of the new language, and becomes familair with them. The adult should understand this and be patient.

Providing Opportunities for Listening

Children need plenty of opportunity to listen to what is being said and to make sense of it before they begin to speak in the new language. The process of learning occurs in three phases:

1. First there is understanding (comprehension)

2. Then the child speaks (production)

3. Eventually they become fluent (performance)

Exposure to Fluent Speakers

When children first begin to speak a new language, they will not be fluent. They will make approximate suonds and communicate by intonation (tone of voice) rather than use words. They are greatly helped if they can talk with people who are fluent and comfortable in the new language. This is why children are no longer seperated and taken out of classrooms to be 'taught' english. They learn much more effectively in a real-life setting, which is relaxed and not formal, and with other children and adults who can alerady speak the language.

Above all, children need to feel that becoming bilingual is a benefit and not a disadvantage. This is a message that we can help to support."

Ref: Bruce, T and Meggitt, C. 'Childcare and Education' Third Edition 2002. Page 8. publisher: Hodder and Stoughton.

I guess the message is to embrace the development of a second language with patience and understanding, but to keep the environment informal and fun, so as the child feels less pressured to learn the language. You can encourgae development of a second language through speaking clearly and slowly to the child and by using props and experiences to emphasise what you are trying to lteach them.

I hope this helps!! :D

Oh and well done on completing C5!! :D

Edited by Clare

No problem! :o

Oh, and if you haven't got that book, it is well worth investing in, especially when it comes to the language development observations you have to do! The NVQ book, in my opinion is pretty rubbish!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)