Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Getting In A Flap!

We are supposed to have our FSU up and running for September but work is no STARTING until beginning of July when asbestos testing takes place. They have the six weeks to complete the work, new ceilings, lighting, knocking walls down, patio doors to the outdoor classroom, new flooring amongst other things!

It's all exciting but I'm panicking a bit, especially as I order resources and have no where to store them!!!!

Just wanted to let schools in County Durham know about support with your outdoor environment:

http://www.ewecentre.org.uk/sgdp/frontpage.htm

They are coming out to help completely re-design the outdoors, as we have agreed to invest £2000 minimum into the outdoors, this is free apparently!

Some of the schools they have re-designed are fabulous, outdoor circle time areas, etc.

• 1 month later...

Hi Marion,

The building work is starting this week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will be ready to open on September 5th.

I moved out of my classroom during the last week of term, it was madness that the work only started now, but we must be grateful, it will be great when it is done. I'm trying to do a plan for where all the areas will be, but obvously it will be adapted lots when we're up and running. I wanted to have a totally secluded role-play area but I'm not sure how we will do that!

Anyway we will see what happens.

We moved out the last week ready for refurbishment and it was a nightmare so sympathise. They have told us the new floor will take 2 weeks!! argh! As the old storage has gone in a skip we hope the new is delivered during the holidays. We are having an extra day without children to try and have the place looking functional (hopefully) Also moving areas around giving block play more space. The architect and planning officer visited in the last week about the childrens centre and took lots of photographs so now the outdoor classroom is back on hold.

Good Luck with everything hope I can visit once you are up and running ?:D

Edited by Marion

Hi Marion,

You would be more than welcome to visit.

I am concerned, that if the unit was not ready, where we would go!

Apparently, there are 32+ Reception children, and 20 Nursery children for each session so far. the Nursery children could go back into the 'old Nursery' at a push but I don't know how I'd get the Reception children into a small classroom, with no room to create areas, as there are too many bodies!

I asked the head about delaying the start date of FS children, but she wasn't keen, our induction is 10 children every other day, starting from 5th September, for Reception, all nursery are in from Day 1.

She said if it's not ready that the unit would not open, however, I don't know about informing County, and parents, etc.

I feel that the unit will not be ready and when it is we will have a weekend to get everything in and set up, my Nursery teacher, is very unhappy, and I feel inclined to agree. It is difficult, but I'm sure others have been through similar situations and there are solutions, my only feeling is if children are delayed in starting school that parents need plenty of notice.

Just one of those things really.

I also wanted to ask about your woodwork bench, who the supplier was, and your thoughts on a play house permanently ressurected outside. I was looking at some from B&Q and various places! I would appreciate your thoughts, and also could you give me any idea of the cost of the willow tree artist and how much work they carry out.

Many thanks Bec

The head is very keen on the idea of a playhouse (he loves the two storey one at B&Q) but we were adviced they have very limited value and stiffle creativity :o

We have had a disaster with our outdoor furniture.........The table tops warped two days after being installed and were replaced only to split and warp even more. The swing seat was so unstable it would tip through 360degrees so couldnt allow children near it............. this was bespoke work at a huge cost so we refused to pay and it was all removed on the final day of term and we are now looking to replace it. Im not sure of the name of the supplier but we had Steve Quigley who is the County contract advisor look at our needs and he recommended the firm who he says have done some great work for other schools in the county.

Our willow artist charges £160 a day plus materials and travelling expenses So it depends on the size of your structure. She's from Hexham so slightly closer to you than us. Think we paid around £300 for the day. Ruth will do everything it was just a matter of us showing her where, discussing what we wanted and seeing what the space allowed then wheeling in groups of children to do their bit with her.

I will check on the workbench unsure if it was Hope or NES

Will keep everything crossed for the unit (sure it will be fine)

Edited by Marion

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just to let you know I have been in to the unit today after returning from holidays and what a transformation. I think the head had to go mad with workmen, but they are now working really hard and say the interior will be completed by tomorrow, fingers crossed. I think I will have to go to IKEA for some storage.

It used to be two classrooms side by side, now one large room, with large arch way between, totally decorated, new kitchen (not quite completed but getting there), new flooring, ceiling and heaters, doors leading to two out door areas, one fairly small with soft play surface, the other is an area for development.

Now when furniture goes back in I will have a more literacy based room by IWB and more Maths based and Construction on the other side leading to larger outdoor area. The have put new storage and sinks in and painted the doors in primary colours.

I feel very lucky to have a nice new environment to work in, now it's putting things in place, if it is completed by tomorrow!

Sounds good Becky so relieved for you that is all completed. Our refurbishment is complete too not sure if the new storage has arrived (it hadnt on my last visit or in last talk with the head) We moving everything back on Friday and have children Tuesday looking forward to starting again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)