Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeasts And Senses

Guest Really

Guest Really

I would like to focus on senses that minibeasts have next week. Anyone any ideas for activities? Really fancy focusing on sight but struggling as I want to do some art work for the wall too.

Any suggestions greatly received! :o

A member of our staff made pairs of 'fly eyes' from clear plastic balls cut in half, cover in mesh and with a coiled 'tongue' that the children wore over their eyes for role play - rubbish for display purposes but provided hours of amusment for us when staff wore them- we don't get out much :o !

Guest tinkerbell

Spiders use the sense of touch,they feel their victims on the threads.i did a lovely circle activity wher i tied a ball of string around my middle and rolled it across the circle to child who then passed it around their back and passed/rolled it across to another ...we all had a turn and made an amazing web...then we unwound it...we use hole punches on paper plates and wove webs,making a big spider with 8legs and lots of eyes to sit on it.

Snails like dark places and you could set up a damp tray half in light and half in dark...Matisse work on snails would look good as a display using sshapes to make the shell.

Poetry looks good ina spiral of the snail shell,words to describe the snail or how it moves.

Tinkerbellx

We bought some brilliant Bug Eye glasses think it was from TTT They have a prism lense that gives a real bugs view when you look through them.

This week we looked at snails (collected from the hostas) did observational drawings and Mattisse type collage snails. We have had a mini beast hunt in the outdoor area and put the plastic minibeasts in compost in the sand tray. Today we did glittery spiders web pictures............somehow the children have totally abandoned our fairytale topic :o

Just had to tell you about the snails we put out on our finding out table. They went exploring and climbed up the display backing paper. I had fortunately removed a mini-beast poster from it to count legs. One ate a hole in the paper about double the size of a 2p coin. The children thought it was hilarious.

Why don't you make a glue snail trail after observing a snail crawling, and sprinkle glitter over it. Like a snail trail it catches the light and you can explain why the snail leaves a trail.

We had the most fantastic spiral shapes drawn to go with it from a couple of our children.

Lynda

Hi, my planning for the next two weeks is mini beasts, Ive attached were I'm up to but its unfinished. I will be completing over the weekend and will add anything else. Would appreciate anything you've got :)

Caterpillar_Music_and_Movement_Story.doc

Floor_Plan_June__Camping_Role_Play_.doc

The_Spider_in_the_Web_song.doc

Activity_Plan.doc

Book_Cover.doc

Story_Sequencing.doc

Words.doc

Days_of_the_week.doc

Life_cycle_of_Butterfly_photos_1_.doc

I recently went on a course with the Visual Impairment team who gave us an activity which we had to do wearing glasses (safety type used for experiments) covered with bubble wrap. Would this be any use? How about a swimming mask instead of glasses or swimming goggles? My kids had something from the cereal packet when there was lots of Harry Potter paraphernalia - it had a lense in it and you attached it to your digital camera so that when you took a photo it turned it into a 'fly's eye' view. If you put it through the PC it would be great..... perhaps someone at your setting has still got one? Worth a shot....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)