Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Goldilocks And Three Bears Help!

Hi all,

Has anyone got any ideas, activities, sequencing cards, powerpoint etc on Goldilocks n 3 Bears. Please help a distressed NQT. At this forum many people have helped e.g. hungry caterpillar. Hope someone out there can help. Doing it for a literacy lesson. Thanks in advance

Flowerxxxxxx

You could do some role-play to get them to explore character feeling.

e.g. children stand in a space and resume the roles of the different bears, by putting their faces and bodies in a certain position depending on how they are feeling at different times in the story. When you tap them on the shoulder they have to say how they feel, as though they were the bear. You may want a helpful TA to go first!!

Got loads more drama ideas that the children would love if you need them,

Shelley

Guest tinkerbell

I think the ELS folder has sequencing cards for Goldilocks and the three bears.

Tinkerbellx

http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/english/...nes_gallery.htm

There are pictures to sequence here

Tinkerbellx

58679[/snapback]

Hi Tinkerbell and Shelley,

Thanks a bunch, I don't know what I'd do without u guys. Please Tinkerbell can u guide me to the ELS ansd Shelley please can Ihave more ideas for drama. As an NQT I appreciate any ideas, resources etc. Thank u so much again!!!!!!!!

Flower

Have you seen the book 'Beware of the Bears' not sure of the author. It tells the story of the 3 bears, who after seeing the mess Goldilocks has made to their house, get their revenge, but it has a good twist at the end. :D

Hi Flower

The ELS is the Early Literacy Support Programme (a supplement to the literacy strategy aimed at struggling Y1 pupils).

ref: DfES 0651/2001 (tel for ordering: 0845 60 555 60)

I expect you can view it on the DfES publications site but as far a I know you can order it for free (used to be, anyway!)

I love that book Rea - would put the author but my copy is at school.

Further to Shelley's suggestions - if you make some BIG speech bubbles, thought bubbles, heart bubbles - you can put one of these above the 'characters' heads and they have to say what they would say, are thinking or how they feel at various points in the story. I've laminated some of these and the children can use dry wipe pens to write a caption, or you could do a shared write.

Once laminated these bubbles will come in for loads of different literacy lessons.

You could have children writing either as Goldilocks saying sorry, or one of the three bears saying how they feel. What about speaking and listening activities - Daddy bear ringing Goldilock's mum to tell her what she's been up to.

Also - don't forget there's loads of maths potential - size, early counting, ordinal language (first she went to the kitchen, second... )

K&U - making porridge - changes to materials, prefered toppings

K&U (geography element) - drawing a map of her route through the house

PSE - safety of going into strangers houses, knowing what's right and wrong.

CD - making bear masks

CD (music element) - when Goldilocks went to the house of the bears

I love Goldilocks.

Good luck,

Harricroft

Hope this is of some use

KUW - looking at different types of bears and their habitats (if you put this into search engine some great webcams come up)

CD -use porridge oats to make pictures of the three bears

Rachel :)

Here are a few more drama ideas (as requested!). I used to be drama coordinator at a primary school. When I was training to be a teacher the idea of drama horrified me, but we had a few lessons on it and I started to see it's potential and realise that it wasn't frightening at all.

Yes I know - now I'm waffling and getting carried away with excitement....!

1. You could explore the book before hand, and pick out some points in the story, and photocopy the pictures and give one each to small groups of children. They could then work together to form a still-image of the scene, using faces and bodies. The rest of the class could then guess which part of the story they are re-enacting;

2. You could discuss a scene in the book where the bears are not happy with Goldilocks, and talk about how they might feel. You could then be Goldilocks, and the children have to stand in the room at a distance from you according to how they feel towards Goldilocks, e.g if they are really upset with her they may stand far away in the room, etc. You can then extend children by choosing individuals and getting them to justify why they are stood where they are.

3. Similar to 2, but instead the children could make a walk way for Goldilocks to walk down, and as you pass them , they could call out words to reflect how they feel (amazingly the words the children select are usually polite!!). Goldilocks can then react to the collage of words being said to her, using face expressions and body language. You can discuss some word ideas before hand to assist the less able.

4. You could add another section to the story where Goldilocks enters a different room in the house. You could make this the focus of your role-play corner, and the children could act out what goldilocks might have done had she gone in that room.

5. Children could interview different characters from the book, asking them for their motives; how they felt, etc.

The list is endless, but there are a few to keep you going! Wish I was doing it!

Shelley

I used this story last week as part of a 'big and small' topic. It was amazing, the children really taking ideas and developing them - independently in some cases!

If anyone's interested enough, I could expand either here or privately, but not just yet, commitments to meet. Maybe in a day or so.

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)