Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small World

:o help i am reletively new to foundation stage and have had the advisors in to assess they are saying that i should have a different small world activity each day or that a new concept should added in each day i am finding this a nightmare please can anyone help my topic is travel and holidays

I think there was an article in a recent Nursery World on this? I'll dig it out and have a look for you.

You need to respond to the children too. My last setting wasnt well off for small world but I found the children liked to have several sessions with the same thing to develop their own use of it, even without additional resources.

Its hard to say how you should develop small wrold in your setting- it reallyu depends on the children. At the moment we have free access to a range of small world activiites- train set, farm, home etc and the favourite is the train set which some children will add to with building blocks etc. At the moment I think that small world can be topic linked e.g. minibeasts we set up with children mininbeats environments on our builders trays, water etc but children are also children need to be able to freely choose from the small world available. Where small world is topic linked we find that adult input is needed to sustain childrens involvement. But where children can choose what they want to use the quality of interaction is far greater- obvious I know. And a good reason to have both avaiable and as practioners to be involved in both (topic/ non topic). I hate the thought that you can only play with the train set/ house when childremn are settling. Good heavens just as bad as no play dough/ free access to paint etc in all of KS1/ 2. Makes me sad to think that my Year 2/ 6 year old Augsut baby daughter sits thorugh lit/ num lessons and still waits for the chance for golden time. Another issue/ rant (if possible) I know. For some children the talk and interaction will be greater from the activity that they are most familiar with (especialy in our setting where language acquisition is very low on entry to nursery). Sometimes small world can only enhance experiences if children have good quality opportunities to experience for real that topic- eg farm role p[lay changed significantly after the visit to the farm (and we adults stopped trying to make neat fields- slap wrists for those that try to now in our setting!!!!)

So know your children , know when they are ready for additional stimulus and let them choose!!!

Lisa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)