Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Help

Our pre-school setting had ofsted in just before 1/2 term and yet again the way we record our assessments were queried. We used to do a tick list (files hopefully attached) but the PLA didn't rate them, so we changed to post-its that were then attached to a chart containing a box for each of the ELGS.Ofsted didn't rate these and suggested we revert to the tick list but that it needed tweaking first ; they didn't suggest how to improve them apart from maybe removing the 'working towards' column.

We love the 'learning story' which we are hoping to do as well as the assessments. So if anyone has a format they wouldn't mind sharing or any tweaking suggestions I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks Karrie

Hi there Karrie!

Sorry not to offer an 'instant fix', but I would say- go with what's right for you and the children, never mind anyone else!!!!! (even the Big O)

You know your children, you also know the team, get it right where you are; should be OK from outside!!

Sue :D

Hi Karrie and welcome!

Your attached sheets look comprehensive and pertinent. As Sue has suggested you should go with what works for you, which of the formats that you have tried did you find most meaningful? Is there any reason why you can not combine the 2? I'm also not sure about the working towards column, if its not been achieved then by default its work in progress but you may want to think of a way of recording the level of progress?

I think I would be looking to using your tick sheets as your record document and the post it systen as a way of recording your evidence/ progress?

Good luck.

Hi Karrie,

We do post it observations which are placed in the children's folder. At the end of the week, these are typed or written neatly into a form (attached).

We observe 3-4 children per week.

We then use a chart (similar to yours) CLL example attached, with all the stepping stones on and the F/S folder to evaluate the observations.

The s/s achieved are then typed under the individual observations and highlighted on the chart.

The forms are used to make a book of achievements to share with the parents and also to inform the next steps.

We use a seperate sheet for next steps. Which is used for informing the plans.

Our Ofsted inspector thought this was very good and our method is not too dissimilar to yours.

Hope you find a method that works for you. :)

Emma

B_J_Oservation_sheet.doc

Communication.doc

T_observation_evaluation_oct_05.doc

Hi Karrie,

We do post it observations which are placed in the children's folder. At the end of the week, these are typed or written neatly into a form (attached).

We observe 3-4 children per week.

We then use a chart (similar to yours) CLL example attached, with all the stepping stones on and the F/S folder to evaluate the observations.

The s/s achieved are then typed under the individual observations and highlighted on the chart.

The forms are used to make a book of achievements to share with the parents and also to inform the next steps.

We use a seperate sheet for next steps. Which is used for informing the plans.

Our Ofsted inspector thought this was very good and our method is not too dissimilar to yours.

Hope you find a method that works for you. :)

Emma

58329[/snapback]

Hi Emma, have to be honest and admit I never thought of making up a book for all the children, that has great potential. At the moment we mainly observe the children ad-hoc as they play but recently the tracking system has been mentioned. Thanks for the input

Karrie

Edited by aliamch

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)