Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition Yr To Yr1

just sorting out transition for reception to yr one. our yr 1 teachers want to organise their day as reception do. This as with most things is easier said than done. :o Has anyone got any really good tips on how year one have handled it so far? Thanks

Chris

We are holding a meeting for our parents in a few weeks time to give them chance to see the similarities and differences between the two phases and to meet the new teacher. The reception children start going to KS1 assemblies on wednesdays this half term and also go into the "Big playground" after the assembly. They will also begin to have different arrangements for lunch which are gradually introduced this half term (going over later, more independence when eating and again going into the big playground). It is difficult to follow the foundation curriculum very closely in our school as the year 1 classroom is very small but the teacher will be following the timing as much as possible and allowing the children free choice and a looser timetable for the first term. we also send up the books that have the childrens work in so they can continue to use them (not much in them but they have got photos etc stuck in)

I would also recommend the materials from QCA called Continuing the learning journey which is an Inset pack for schools and contains a good DVD with examples of how to do it. The book called "Making it work in Year 1" by Sally Featherstone is great too. (ISBN 1-905019-06-8) Order from www.featherstone.uk.com

Hope this helps

Sue

:o

Thanks Sue,

I have done a staff meeting on Continuing the Learning Journey which has been useful. It's interesting to note that your children don't join KS 1 for a while, whereas ours start straight away from September. (which I always think is perhaps too soon, but that's how it;s always been done) I will order the Sally Featherstone book though. It's always good to hear from people , you dont feel as if you are the only one worrying about these things so thanks again.

chris :D:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)