Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Involving Parents In Fsu.

Hi. In September I am going to be coordinator in our recently established Foundation unit.

One of my first tasks will be to get the parents on board as the present staff haven't really done this and parents, particularly of those moving into F2, are having doubts about the provision. I think the concerns centre around the fact that they are not sure about the progression from F1 to F2 and how the children will progress as they have in the past in a pure Reception class.

I am planning on holding a meeting during the next half term and also would like to produce a booklet for parents/ children about the class.

I am wondering if anyone has done this kind of meeting before and has nay advice about approaches or things to include. Also if anyone has any ideas of what to include in the booklet.

Thank you very much to anyone who replies! :)

We had a number of meetings in the summer term before we became a FSU to reasure parents. Most said what we were saying was common sense. Most parents are concerned with the transition from nursery into reception and saw it as a big plus that this would no longer be an issue. We threw in all the reports EPPE Excellence and Enjoyment etc played heavily on the fact that boys in particular would benefit and said please come and see it in action. Since then we have opperated open door policy and had nothing but praise from parents.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I can't believe how time has flown and the parent meeting is this week!!

I have it mostly sorted but if anyone has any last minute advice or ideas I would be really grateful!

Thank you! :D

Sorry Barbarann...........I completely forgot...........my laptop has been wrecked by one of the nursery children who somehow managed to uninstall/delete windows argh!!! and I decided to apply for a new school so its been chaotic. Pleased to hear you have managed to put together things.

Did you get the FAQ from the DFEs website?

Hi Marion.

That's ok, I know everyone is extremely busy!

I haven't seen the FAQs no, I will have a look for them, thanks!

• 2 years later...
Guest dianet2

hI

I have held several meetings with parents, they were very respectful of the time we spent explaining the issues of transition I also did present booklets of photographs of the children taking part in activities with explanations of what was happening to share, they loved those

I also held parent involvement afternoons where the parents came into school in small groups to spend time in the classroom, they were suprised how much learning went on in Reception but it helped them not to worry about the structure of key stage 1

hope this helps

dianet2

quote name='barbarann' date='Jun 3 2006, 11:40' post='58079']

Hi. In September I am going to be coordinator in our recently established Foundation unit.

One of my first tasks will be to get the parents on board as the present staff haven't really done this and parents, particularly of those moving into F2, are having doubts about the provision. I think the concerns centre around the fact that they are not sure about the progression from F1 to F2 and how the children will progress as they have in the past in a pure Reception class.

I am planning on holding a meeting during the next half term and also would like to produce a booklet for parents/ children about the class.

I am wondering if anyone has done this kind of meeting before and has nay advice about approaches or things to include. Also if anyone has any ideas of what to include in the booklet.

Thank you very much to anyone who replies! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)