Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Differentiation

Yet another query from me - sorry!

I just wondered how many of your adult directed/initiated activities you differentiate. At the moment I differentiate my MD and CLL activities but then for the other areas I tend to plan an activity which addresses an area of need for certain children but all of the children do it. Is that okay or should I be differentiating that too? I also sometimes just do activities because they're worth doing i.e. they might be interesting, widen children's experiences or just be...dare I say it...fun! Is that bad?

We're expecting Ofsted anyday and I'm getting my knickers in a real twist over this. I made the mistake at reading some Ofsted reports on their site yesterday and they had me hyperventilating. One of the things they seem to focus on is attainment levels on entry. They referred to 'above' and 'below' average attainment levels. How would they get this figure? Is there some national database that I don't know about? If there is could someone please direct me in the general direction and if there isn't how do you come up with a judgement?

Also, because I'm in a school that is only a one-form entry any judgements that are made about Reception rest on my shoulders. I know that people say it doesn't, that it's a whole school issue, but basically the person who will be pointed at if things are bad is me. This makes me feel very stressed. I work really hard and don't think I could stand for it all to be rubbished. I don't think I could even cope with a 'satisfactory'. What do you do if poor judgements are made against you?

That's actually several queries isn't it? And yet another long me, me, me post. Sorry! I would be grateful for wise words though.

i differentate in a similar way soem cd and kuw dont require major differentiation buyt i offer it through the amount of support i give them.

i also do activiites of the cuff and because their fun, i know the children will engoy them and to be honest the best observations and assessemnts have come from these.

dont panic about ofsted i read the reports from my local area and paniced we go outstanidng in the end.

i must say though they were very hot on attainment on entry in fact that was the majorlity of what they asked.

we made up our own system on the stop.

we highlight the stepping stones they are on at entry and used this. if they were on yellow and some blue we saind working below average, working on blue with maybe some green we said average and working on green with some elgs we said above average.

we then added up how many belows, average and above and made a percentage based on number of children.

our came out low with most being below average as we expected because of the area we are in.

ofsted were pleased with the way we did this and didnt question it, it semed the only way to do as as they arrived tuesday for 2 days and wanted it by wednesday morning.

hope this has answered some questions and good luck!

Yet another query from me - sorry!

We're expecting Ofsted anyday and I'm getting my knickers in a real twist over this. I made the mistake at reading some Ofsted reports on their site yesterday and they had me hyperventilating. One of the things they seem to focus on is attainment levels on entry. They referred to 'above' and 'below' average attainment levels. How would they get this figure? Is there  some national database that I don't know about? If there is could someone please direct me in the general direction and if there isn't how do you come up with a judgement?

58077[/snapback]

Think its one of the things on the SEF form. Our head had said our children entre the FS 'average' and OFSTED disagreed (dont ask me how they reached this conclusion) and said they were 'bellow average' and most left the FS above average (pat on the back for us)

As you know we use the Durham Flying Start assessment scheme so we do have information from entry right through the FS.

Also I found out where the idea that 6 is average score!!! :D DfES March 2005

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s0...FR10-2005v3.pdf

'a score of 6 or above in any scale is deemed to be a good score'

I'm sorry to be dense but I've read your attachment about 10 times and I cannot, for the life of me, find the 6 = good bit. Quite worried now - senile dementia setting in? Could you give me a page number? A paragraph clue as well might not go amiss. :o

I'm sorry to be dense but I've read your attachment about 10 times and I cannot, for the life of me, find the 6 = good bit. Quite worried now - senile dementia setting in? Could you give me a page number? A paragraph clue as well might not go amiss.  :o

58082[/snapback]

Sorry there are 2 reports and Ive attached wrong one xD

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s0...FR44-2005v2.pdf

page 3 point d at the bottom

Hi ASPK - I can't open the file. Could you give me a brief synopsis of its contents?

Everyone - I'm still interested in what you do about the differentiation thing.

Hi Moose,

Sorry you couldn't open the file (maybe because it was HTML format). It just contained the info shown below and was taken from QCA:

Foundation stage profile amendment

The following error has been identified in the 2006 key stage 1 ARA in the Foundation Stage Profile (FSP) section on page 11 (3.7 What will happen to the results of the assessment?) the second group of bullet points currently states that:

a scale score of 6 indicates typical achievement within the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 7 or more in all the scales indicates a good level of achievement within the Early Learning Goals

It should read as follows (bold type indicates change)

a scale score of 1 - 3 indicates working towards the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 4 - 7 indicates working within the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 8 indicates completion of the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 9 indicates working beyond the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 6 or more in all scales indicates a good level of achievement within the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 0 indicates a chid with special educational needs who is following an alternative assessment

a scale score of N indicates a child who has not been assessed

Any queries about this should be directed to Jan Dubiel, Principal Officer for the FSP at:

Tel: 020 7509 6282

Edited by Guest

Everyone - I'm still interested in what you do about the differentiation thing.

58093[/snapback]

I do much the same as Clare - on the whole I differentiate by task and level of support for CLL and MD and by outcome and level of support for other areas.

And in response to your first post in this thread, Moose:

Providing activities because they are worth doing in their own right is great - keep it up! :D:o

Hi Moose,

Sorry you couldn't open the file (maybe because it was HTML format). It just contained the info shown below and was taken from QCA:

Foundation stage profile amendment

The following error has been identified in the 2006 key stage 1 ARA in the Foundation Stage Profile (FSP) section on page 11 (3.7 What will happen to the results of the assessment?) the second group of bullet points currently states that:

a scale score of 6 indicates typical achievement within the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 7 or more in all the scales indicates a good level of achievement within the Early Learning Goals

It should read as follows (bold type indicates change)

a scale score of 1 - 3 indicates working towards the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 4 - 7 indicates working within the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 8 indicates completion of the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 9 indicates working beyond the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 6 or more in all scales indicates a good level of achievement within the Early Learning Goals

a scale score of 0 indicates a chid with special educational needs who is following an alternative assessment

a scale score of N indicates a child who has not been assessed

Any queries about this should be directed to Jan Dubiel, Principal Officer for the FSP at:

Tel: 020 7509 6282

58100[/snapback]

I noticed they are saying that statement 9 is at level 1 (and sometimes level 2) NC :o

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks for that Marion

I was interested in points 8-9

I think this is what a lot of us have been debating on this forum for some time.I have just done my medium planning and again planned for my year1s on the foundation plan with the odd ref to NC.

I shall cut and paste the piece and have it to hand if needed.

Tinkerbellx

I differentiate by task and level of support for CLL and MD and by outcome and level of support for other areas, the only change may be a KUW task which I know my poorest children would not access would be given an alternative task.

Don't panic - keep calm.

You'll be fine!

:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)