Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree Funding

Jo jo

Can anybody help me as I have spent the last two days trying to fill in a PN1 form to apply for funding to complete a foundation degree and I don't seem to be getting any where!!!

I have a place at my local college on the foundation degree in early years due to start in October this year.

When I asked the college about funding the course they told to my to get a PN1 form from my local L.E.A and fill it in to recieve funding. I have spent two days trying to fill this form in I have phoned ucas, colleges the LEA and noone seems to know how to help me, I would like a grant to pay for my tuition fees as I am a nursery nurse and my wages will not streach to funding it all myself.

People have been telling me to apply for a loan but I have friends who have completed this course and have just started this course last year and they didn't have any of this trouble the course was free they recieved burseries one even got a free lap top!!

Why is there now no funding avaliable to me it's part of the goverments 10 year child care stratergy for those who work with children to be more qualified yet everyone I phone can't help me and seems to think there is no funding for this course as it is only part time and that my only option is a loan.

Can anyone advice my on what grant/loan to apply for? Has anyone else had simular experience when trying to get funding for a foundation degree? it dosen't seem fair that in order to keep my training up to date I have to pay for it especially as I am a low wage earner and it has been funded in the past does it depend on where you live? if so how is that fair!!! :o

Hi, I have been offered a place for the Foundation Degree and my setting have just been sent information from the local EYDCP (Surestart) about a Transformation Fund that will fund staff, my manager filled in the form and we have sent it off to see what they can offer, but apparently different authorities offer different help/funding, I am a little anxious as I cannot afford to pay the fees, so do keep me posted as to how you are getting on, I will wait for the results from this initial application (EYDCP) and then try other avenues. (I have the PN1 but haven't filled it in yet, my local authority (Somerset) said to wait until I see what Surestart have to offer)?/

Hope this is of some help, good luck, looks like we have to chase it no matter how much the government keep saying their behind us and improving standards!

Edited by Guest

Thanks for your reply and good luck with your funding, it sounds like we've both got our work cut out trying to get some funding from somewhere!

I'm like you will not be able to afford to pay for the course without any help!!

I'll let you know how I and get on and I would like to here what happens with your quest.

It's all so confusing I just wish there was funding avaliable for us all reguardless of where we live!!

• 1 month later...

Just to update you Jojo, the local authority have just agreed to pay for my funding, £2,700 of the astronomical £3,000 the provider is asking, so I am well chuffed - they also are going to pay my employer for supply whilst I am away for the day at university. How is your quest going??

Edited by Guest

I am well chuffed too most of the fees are being paid for and I have been awarded a grant which will cover the rest of the fees as well as help towards cost of books etc so I'm glad I stuck with filling in all the forms good luck with your studies, I am quite looking forward to mine now the funding is sorted!!

Hi Jojo!

Just wondering, will you be going to Carshalton to do your foundation degree?

Edited by Clare

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)