Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Scores

Just scanned my profile for writing. Do the scores seem ok! A|lso with my other areas there seems to be lots of gaps. if I haven't highlighted a 4 but a level 7, what score do they get? Hope that makes sense. Also with some areas for example PSE I don't have solid evidence, but I just know they can do it - is that ok. I'm kinda looking to teachers who know a bit more than I do.

Laura xx

post-4927-1149009334_thumb.jpg

In our LEA we count the total number of ticks for the profile points total . So if for example a child has ticks for steps 1,3,5 their score would be 3 altogether because 3 areas have been met. However, according to a recent moderation course I went on, guidance now states they have to have achieved the ELG for step 8 now and beyond the ELGS for Step 9.They can not achieve a step 9 unless they have achieved all steps 1-8. We were also told that teacher judgement is fine as long as you have seen evidence that the child has achieved it more than once or twice. It is obviously good if you can call upon examples of evidence if you have them. Hope this helps

That all looks ok to me! I have never scored any 9s, but then my cohorts have been largely EAL. It has always been the case that 9 can not be scored unless all other points 1-8 have been. 1-8 are not hierarchial and can therefore be scored in any order although as 1-3 relate most closeky to Stepping stones you would expect these to be achieved before 4-8, although this is not always the case.

Your professional judgement and the info you keep in your head are also ok but you should be preppared to talk about what you know at moderation, should it take place.

Thank you to both of you, I just need reassurance that I am doing it ok.

I was looking at some profiles of two children in my class at the moment. They were in pre-school last year but mixed with a reception. Both of them were achieving 8's and 9's. One of them I would say yes it is realistic, but the other one I feel she was given too higher points. Its amazing how two different teachers get different results.

Hi we have been told that ch should leave foundation 2 on at least point 6. Solihull have given all staff extra criterea which makes the profile points easier to tick, but also very precise too. There is also lots of moderating going on too to make sure we dont over score as this then effects the childrens predicted levels throughout school :o

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Laura

I am in a similar position with a boy who can read and write but is very reluctant to talk about his family or anything else ,he is the eldest in reception (missed yr1 by 1 week) I think his mum hot houses him and hes in a state of turmoil that hes going to get something wrong!So he has gaps. Although they say the points are not sequential when you do the e-profile because you have left gaps it says error!

I only have one child (the youngest)who is a 9 in most things she is on the Gifted and Talented register.

Tinkerbellx

Any chance you can share that then, ecorri, please? I'm sure it would be appreciated!

57887[/snapback]

Yes please, I second that!

Laura - your scores look amazing! Like Susan, I don't get many 9's because I think points 5 and 6 are quite difficult to achieve.

(Surrey guidance for point 5 is at least 75% of letters to be formed correctly)

Hi there,

I think its made a difference that I only have 11 children in independent school. Definitely in maths and CLL the children are high up the scores.

I spoke to the EY link advisor today and she said that none of the statements can be marked off just using our opinion. We have to have hard evidence for all the statements. I have marked some of the statements off because I know they can do them.

This is my first year in reception so this is so new to me.

I spoke to the EY link advisor today and she said that none of the statements can be marked off just using our opinion. We have to have hard evidence for all the statements.

58328[/snapback]

We have been told there is no need for evidence for all the statements as it is teacher judgement and many of those judgements will be based on our knowledge of the children we work with everyday and to keep paper evidence for everything would be a waste of effort. I mean apart from our knowledge of a child how do we prove they are confident to try new activities? or that they continue to be interested, motivated and excited to learn?

Wish everyone was singing from the same hymn sheet. Maybe its time they got their act together. :o

Thanks Marion, I finding it a big thing for me this year, and I hope I can feel clearer about it when the moderator comes next week.

hi

just thought I'd add my bit as a moderator

the message I'm giving the schools in my cluster group is the one we took away from our heads' conference where Jan Dubiel (works for NAA) told them that there is no need for extensive evidence which will add to teachers' workload - it is enough to be able to provide a variety of written evidence, photographs and verbal evidence if an Ofsted inspector were to come and ask for justifications. i.e. gut instinct is ok but you have to be able to answer 'how do you know' too. So I'm telling people to collect some evidence e.g. samples of work, post it notes, photographs but to also to attend cluster meetings and to be able to justify decisions

Hope that helps

Janine x

hi

just thought I'd add my bit as a moderator

the message I'm giving the schools in my cluster group is the one we took away from our heads' conference where Jan Dubiel (works for NAA) told them that there is no need for extensive evidence which will add to teachers' workload - it is enough to be able to provide a variety of written evidence, photographs and verbal evidence if an Ofsted inspector were to come and ask for justifications. i.e. gut instinct is ok but you have to be able to answer 'how do you know' too.  So I'm telling people to collect some evidence e.g. samples of work, post it notes, photographs but to also to attend cluster meetings and to be able to justify decisions

Hope that helps

Janine x

58588[/snapback]

Thanks Janine

that coresponds to what I was told at my moderation meeting

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)