Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

World Cup Theme

hi, my topic next term is journeys which i thought i could tie in brilliantly with the world cup. we are having a travel agents and look at different means of travel, look at the cultures, foods of germany etc and have a football ticket office outside, just wondered if anyone had any good ideas to share with me would be great!!!!!

thanks charlotte :o

We are doing journeys too and hoping to link to world cup ,so would also be interested in ideas. We are also doing lots of journeys through story and doing story maps; we are also going to choose different themes each week such as trains/ cars/boats/planes/space travel and link our role play to this.

hi there, i was thinking on the similar lines, i thought we would look at different means of travel , boats, space journeys, train journeys, was thinking of these texts

the train ride

Mr Gumpys Outing / Magic Bed

Seaside songs and rhymes

Whatever Next Jill Murphy

let me know if you have any ideas for literacy, anything themed around aeroplanes etc,

i will attach a copy of my planning............ when it is done...............!!!! so we can share ideas!!!!!!

just thought about having a hotdog / frankfurter stand outside!!!!

food tasting

learning simple greetings in german.

changing home corner into a holiday home, with passports, suitcases, holiday clothes, empty suncream bottles etc.!!!!

If you are going to make passports, why not get the children to draw flags from the different countries onto sticky labels and leave them where the children can access them to stick in their passports? You could also get the children to write the place name on the labels. You could then talk about the different flags, places they have 'visitied' etc

Hi,

Just an idea to add to your journey theme;

During circle time, have two suitcases, and in the middle of the floor put different types of clothing and objects, example: swim wear, sun glasses, t shirt, sun dress, shorts etc, gloves, hats, ski pants, etc, the children then have to discuss hot and cold countries for holidays, put the clothes into the suit case according to hot or cold, before this activity in the past, i have had a globe out and pictures of differnet countries and we have discusses hot and cold countries. You could also ask children if they have travelled on various types of transports and if possible ask parents for photos of the children either on an aeroplane or on a train etc and make a wall display of how the children travelled and why they were making the journey.

Hope this helps a little

Rosepetal :)

Guest tinkerbell

i have just bought an interesting resource, its a book and CD called Putumayo presents WORLD PLAYGROUND Multicultural Activity Kit.ISBN 1587590468

basically you travel to 13 different countries by music.The book has two page spread on the country,flag,people, vocab,food and music.There is a passport for (older) child to fill in. All the words to the songs in the back of book with translation.The book is really geared to adult .

It cost £14 I know its expensive but it has Australian Aboriginies singing waltzing matilda in pitjantjatjaraand i am doing Australia as my summer topic!

Tinkerbellx

website www.putumayo.com

Edited by tinkerbell

sorry, its too late at night for me to come up with ideas! Just wanted to say what a fantastic idea, and at last a topic that will get the interest of the Dads (i'm not meaning to sterotype) Why didn't I think of this!!!? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Just wanted to say thank you for the link to Sparklebox. I am a new member, so I am enjoying finding really useful sites like this for the first time, and am grateful for anything that helps bring fresh resources into the class!

Maureen

Hi

We are also linking our topic to the world cup. We have made a post box in the shape of the World Cup and the children have decided they are going to use it to post letters to Sven to give him advice or respond to the games, get well soon letters to Rooney, Good luck cards to the team, etc. We have also painted all the different flags and displayed them around a map to highlight where the countries are. The children have also made their own bunting. We have been watching the FIFA web site where the clock was counting daown the days, minuites, seconds to the world cup ( the children found this facinating and looked forward to coming in each day to look how long was left) We have also displayed a chart and are going to record the scores of all the matches. The children are writing who is playing on what day and we are making score predictions, etc. We have also given them shirt outlines for them to create their own patterns, etc. We are doing bouncing, rolling, etc. different types of balls in paint as an outdoor activity as well as having footballs and goal posts.

Sorry to go on but i am finding this topic as exciting as the children

Emma xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)