Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Reading Research Help Needed!

Hi, I've just returned to teaching Reception after maternity leave and I've got to deliver ERR to the class.... and I have very little to go on. I know what order to teach the initial sounds and then apparently its on to VC words and ... 'building up sounds to hear the words' and 'chopping up words to hear the sounds' But is there anything easy and straightforward to read in the way of training materials or does anyone have any advice for me??

Thanks Jane

we've used Jolly Phonics for the past 3 years and I've found it's worked so well.

It starts with all the single sounds then goes onto the blends like ai, ee and oi etc...

most of the children have learnt all of them now and use them readily intheir reading and writing :D

with the more able, we've started to look at alternative blends, like all the different ways of making the 'ai' sound. Not with the intention of the children knowing them all... just so that they're aware that there are other ways of making the sounds... and they stop when they're writing now and ask which 'ai' sound is it in the word they're writing, which I personally think is great.

I've attched JF intro which you might find useful. Obviously, like with all things, JFs isn't the be all and end all, but I certainly think it's provided a good foundation this year. :o

jolly_phonics_intro.pdf

• 1 year later...

we are doing the ERR project at our school in Birmingham. We are attending monthly training sessions which give us strict and precise guidance on how to deliver the ERR. You recieve literature on this course to support you through the year with you teaching. If your school is taking part someone must be attending the training so should therefore be able to train you? We have ditched Jolly Phonics and the children appear to be learning the letter sounds and key words faster than ever. So far so good, although it is highly repetitive and drives me crazy sometimes!!!

You need to get your hands on Letters and Sounds!!! It's fantastic! It has a fab DVD with excellent examples of how to introduce the sounds, activities you can do in focus groups! When watching Phase Two, look out for Nicola, she is inspirational! I doubt myself loads, and when watching the DVD I''ve thought, Oh, that's not too different from what I'm doing and these people have been chosen as good examples of good practice! Ask your headteacher/FS coordinator for the pack, all schools should have received one last term! It's my phonics bible! However, they do suggest you use it alongside PIPS, Playing with Sounds and Jolly Phonics, which I agree with.

Have I sold it to you?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)