Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview Help!

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me. xD

I have an interview on Wednesday morning with a group of 12 mixed ability Reception children for 30 minutes. I have to deliver a mathematics problem solving activity using a story of my choice. I'm not sure what story to do but I was thinking of the Very Hungry Caterpillar or Goldilocks and the three bears but im having a real blank thinking of activities to go with it! I'm currently in my last week of teaching practice so trying to plan for that AND I have three other interviews this week! The pressure is on - please help! :o

Hello everyone,  I was wondering if anyone could help me.  xD

I have an interview on Wednesday morning with a group of 12 mixed ability Reception children for 30 minutes.  I have to deliver a mathematics problem solving activity using a story of my choice.  I'm not sure what story to do but I was thinking of the Very Hungry Caterpillar or Goldilocks and the three bears but im having a real blank thinking of activities to go with it!  I'm currently in my last week of teaching practice so trying to plan for that AND I have three other interviews this week! The pressure is on - please help! :o

57257[/snapback]

Hi! :)

Hope this is an idea!

Problem Solving - Finding Possibilities

Story - 'We're Going On A Bear Hunt' - Michael Rosen or 'Goldilocks'

Activity - Sand Tray

You would need to decide whether you were to be an observer of how the children tackle the problem or an active player and prompter alongside them - i usually start observing and then prompt and challenge their thinking further.

Hide a collection of bear counters (e.g. compare bears or laminated bears you've devised yourself) in the sand for the children to find and sort. "I've lost some things in the sand tray. can you help find them for me? Some are the same and some are different but they are all mixed up. See if you can sort them out".

I usually start by saying how many i've lost e.g. 6 / 10 / 20. Then i can challenge the children to identify if they have found them all and how they know. How many have they found? How many more do they need to find?

I also put some empty containers near the sand tray as well for them to sort into.

You can support children by modelling playing alongside them "Look i've found a big yellow bear, its the same as Susan found. Is yours the same Peter?" Etc Etc.

Encourage the children to compare the objects using different criteria such as colour, size or type, noticing similarities and differences.

Ask the children to justify their groupings "so whats the same about all these in this bucket?".

Can they find other ways of sorting them?

Hope this is an idea .... actually did it with dinosaurs as well before which the boys in particular loved - linked to the story "Harry's Bucketfull Of Dinosaurs"!!!! :D

Good Luck with whatever you do!!!! :D

Thank you so much! what a brilliant idea. I think I will be using that one as I'm panicing and can't think straight! Thank you again, I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Sallie :D

Hi Delyth, Just to let you know that I got offered a job on Tuesday and so didn't need to organise the activity in the end. Thank you for your time and help anyway, it was much appreiciated :D

Sallie x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)