Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Continue Good Eys Practice In Yr1

xD Please has anyone some good advice ......

I am a nursery teacher, setting up a FS Unit with staff in September (feel positive and excited about that! :D ) and also have been assigned Year 1 to my team - which i love! Now have the opportunity to continue all that great EYs stuff into kS1 and look into further developing the transition ......... however :( am worried ......

The YR1 teacher will be carrying out the literacy and numeracy sessions during most mornings and for this she has a TA to support her - in the afternoon she will be on her own with 29 children and is worried about being able to teach everything she needs to teach in a term, and collect evidence and assessment in all the other areas of the curriculum at the same time!!! :o

The reason for her worry ........... :(

She is an NQT and although currently in YR1, during the afternoons at the moment, her children take it in turns with YR1 and 2 children to go into a room (run by TAs) where it is set out like FS e.g. sand, water, DT area, construction etc etc. There the children work on identified objectives from the QCA and the TAs observe, collect/annotate evidence towards these for the teacher. In September this won't be possible and it will all have to be done by herself in her classroom.

Does this make any sense? Does anyone have any examples of how they organise and manage their day in YR1 that might help me advise and support my YR1 teacher? If children do literacy and numeracy in the morning - how do the children work in the afternoon?

Please HELP! :D

Guest tinkerbell

Does she have 29 yr1 ?

She could think of reorganising lit/maths

We do a science morning on wednesday so the teacher and TA could do assessment stuff for that then.

Could she link some curriculum areas together?teach lit through history topic for example.?

Tinkerbellx

Does she have 29 yr1 ?

She could think of reorganising lit/maths

We do a  science morning on wednesday so the teacher and TA could do assessment stuff for that then.

Could she link some curriculum areas together?teach lit through history topic for example.?

Tinkerbellx

57247[/snapback]

She only has 22 YR1 at mo!

The KS1 and 2 curriculum has just been re-written to make it more cross-curricular and 'creative' - they have topics each term.

It might be an unjust worry - in that she's used to how it has been organised this year and is concerned about the 'change'.

I just want to feel confident that I know the best way to advise her. I'd like the Autumn Term of the YR1 class to work a bit more like the reception year in order to ease transition.

Sounds exciting, good luck.

I appreciate your dilemma but not sure what to suggest other than have you seen the Featherstone book "Making it work in year1"?

57249[/snapback]

:o Thanks - i know there's lots of reading for me to do this Summer!

Hi Delyth

I teach in County Durham in Reception, and we are setting up a unit for September which I will manage. I have decided to work with the YR1 teacher next half term to plan for transition issues.

There is a course in June for transition issues in which looks at this specifically. The year 1 teacher is happy to go along with setting up for all the areas of learning in her classroom. We are starting with SEAL in September as well, so basically our whole school timetable has to be re-organised. Unfortunately some staff teach rigidly to QCA but we are trying to move away to a more topic based curriculum, as will be in the unit.

The Year 1 teacher is happy to continue to teach ELG's in the Autumn term for those children who are not ready for NC. She is going to teach SEAL in the morning, and also on a rota access some of our outdoor classroom in the unit when our children are at lunch (11.30am). She is also going to start with topic 'Ourselves' and link QCA for children who are ready! Unfortunately she will access little support, but I think sitting down and discussing the children and their needs at this time is a necessary thing to do. She will look closely at FS curriculum and make as many links as possible. I will keep you posted as things progress if this helps!

Edited by Guest

Hi Delyth

I teach in County Durham in Reception, and we are setting up a unit for September which I will manage.  I have decided to work with the YR1 teacher next half term to plan for transition issues.

There is a course in June for transition issues in which looks at this specifically.  The year 1 teacher is happy to go along with setting up for all the areas of learning in her classroom.  We are starting with SEAL in September as well, so basically our whole school timetable has to be re-organised.  Unfortunately some staff teach rigidly to QCA but we are trying to move away to a more topic based curriculum, as will be in the unit. 

The Year 1 teacher is happy to continue to teach ELG's in the Autumn term for those children who are not ready for NC.  She is going to teach SEAL in the morning, and also on a rota access some of our outdoor classroom in the unit when our children are at lunch (11.30am).  She is also going to start with topic 'Ourselves' and link QCA for children who are ready!  Unfortunately she will access little support, but I think sitting down and discussing the children and their needs at this time is a necessary thing to do.  She will look closely at FS curriculum and make as many links as possible.  I will keep you posted as things progress if this helps!

57296[/snapback]

:D GREAT! Sounds really good - it's the line i want to go down - please keep me posted!!

Hi Delyth,

It's my turn to help you! (You gave me the idea for the maths activity for my interview!)

While on teaching practive in a Y1 class they had a very different set up to other schools. First thing in the morning for 30 mins the teacher would take the whole class for a Literacy introduction (e.g. work around the big book or phonics work) with all children sat on the carpet. After lunch the teacher would take the whole class again for 30 mins for a maths intoduction (e.g. mental/oral then main objective). Throughout the day the teacher would work with every ability group (5 in total) focussing on one subject e.g. geography, science, maths or writing etc. This meant that the teacher got to work with and assess every child on a daily basis. The rest of the class were involved with child initiated activities like in the FS. The children had to complete 2 independent activities at some point during the day, which linked to the maths and literacy introductions.

The system seemed to work well although there was a TA available all day.

Keep me posted on how it all goes!

Sallie x

P.S. If any of this doesn't make sense or is confusing (it was for me at first!) then I'll be happy to explain further :D

Edited by Sallie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)