Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Dilemma!

My nursery is situated in the middle of a park area. We have our own garden, which is fenced off by tall blue bars, allowing the children to see out into the park.

The nursery is based in a disadvantaged area. If any equipment is left out in the garden at night, it is not there in the morning, therefore, all outdoor equipment has to be brought in at the end of the day, and left in 2 rooms, as there is no-where else to store it.

We really need to develop our physical activity, as at the moment it is just a bit of a free-for-all, with little staff interaction.

I am going to be asking my staff to start producing a resource box for outdoor games and activities.

We have several children who are trying to climb whilst they are in the nursery. It is very possible that they do not get the opportunity to use climbing frames, etc whilst at home.

We are not able to get a fixed climbing frame, as this would get vandalised. Any ideas for activities that would tackle this issue?

Thanks Guys!!

Just had a browse through. That looks like a really good starting point, especially the 'Getting Started' and the 'Adult's Role' sections.

Thanks loads.

Thanks too.

It looks very good indeed. I am just in the process of trying to develop our area more, so some good ideas there.

Lynda

Thanks ASPK that looks a good publication/article

our outdoor play area is in a carpark and we cannt leave anything out I picked up a book at the weekend

"10 minute ideas for early years - outdoor play" by sandy green

it provides a variety of activities that require little or no preperation there are approximately 60 activities 10 for each area of development, each activity is link directly to an ELG and are ideal for settings that want to use the out door space to promote the curriculum but may be limited by time and space to have ready made equipment in place

Im sorry but I cannt help with suggestions for climbers our play area is tarmac and not really suitable for climbing frame but we bought plastic balancing logs for the children to walk along and jump over

Thanks ASPK that looks a good publication/article

our outdoor play area is in a carpark and we cannt leave anything out I picked up a book at the weekend

"10 minute ideas for early years - outdoor play" by sandy green

it provides a variety of activities that require little or no preperation  there are approximately 60  activities 10 for each area of development, each activity is link directly to an ELG and are ideal for settings that want to use the out door space to promote the curriculum but may be limited by time and space to have ready made equipment in place

Im sorry but I cannt help with suggestions for climbers our play area is tarmac and not really suitable for climbing frame but we bought plastic balancing logs for the children to walk along and jump over

57284[/snapback]

I'll have a look at that book - thanks.

Plastic balancing logs sounds good. Have you got any idea how much they cost?

Although we have a large grassed outdoor area we don't leave anything out because I know it will get vandalised eventually. It is too much of a chore to carry out our large metal climbibg frame so we carry use the A-Frame. Its very good for climbing and not too heavy to carry. Even though we are on grass we still use the crash mats but the children can carry these.

I do like the sound of the book Alison. Where did you buy it.? I have seen how to order it on-line but would like to get it sooner.

I picked the book up from waterstones at the weekend £15 (I later found it on amazon and it was half price typical :o ) there is a whole range of them I picked up the circle time one as well which looks good

The plastic stepping logs were from Hope education £29+Vat (p235) our children enjoy them and they stack inside each other for storage

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)