Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Big Fish/small Pond Syndrome!

Not sure where to post this but felt sure someone would have a suggestion or two.

Some of our parents are having a problems with their rising five children who are going to School in September, big fish in a small pond flexing their muscles a bit, ready to fly the nest etc. We get a bit of it at Pre-school too. Is anybody else experiencing this and do you have any suggestions for coping with it? My initial thought is to give the children more responsibility.

I know from my own children that this happens when they leave first school, middle school etc.

Any ideas?

Deb

We find this happens too, I put it down to the fact that the children are aware some changes are going to happen in their life, that they are not sure of. This manifests itself in many ways, one being trying to assert control in areas they feel comfortable with. More responsibilities are good for raising sense of self worth, achievement etc, but be careful not to let them think they have to become more responsible just because they are "going to big school".

Spend time reassuring them about how much of school life will be similar to preschool, activities etc. Talk to them and ask them what they feel about or want to know about "big school". Involve them in having choices and decision making in areas such as what new lunch box they might have, what type of new school shoes, laces or velco ( yes, i know we all want them to have velcro :o ) etc.

Peggy

Many thanks to you both for your replies, they helped me to feel confident in what I was saying to stressed parents this week. Am also going to use your suggestions in planning for the individual needs of these children.

Thanks again

Deb

Do you all find that many of the children going to school in September, especially the girls, get very clingy and weepy at this time? We have found this over the years and can only assume it is due to some anxiety about what is going to happen. We often have to reassure parents that this phase is due to a fear of the unknown and we always try to keep the move to school quite low key and encourage them to do the same at home.

Linda

Thanks for your reply Linda. When I posted this post, I had in mind one of my keychildren (a girl) who was displaying weepy clingy behaviour! I comforted her and she clung to me like a limpet for much of the morning or so it seemed! Have suggested to Mum that she could be feeling anxious about the unknown and keeping things low key might help.

I'm really going to miss my keychildren particularly, they're a lovely lot, and I've watched them grow and develop over the last two years. Can't believe they'll be off to big school soon with only another 7 weeks at Pre-School which will fly by. Going to enjoy them!

Deb

Thanks for your reply Linda.  When I posted this post, I had in mind one of my keychildren (a girl) who was displaying weepy clingy behaviour!  I comforted her and she clung to me like a limpet for much of the morning or so it seemed!  Have suggested to Mum that she could be feeling anxious about the unknown and keeping things low key might help.

I'm really going to miss my keychildren particularly, they're a lovely lot, and I've watched them grow and develop over the last two years.  Can't believe they'll be off to big school soon with only another 7 weeks at Pre-School which will fly by.  Going to enjoy them!

Deb

58013[/snapback]

Hi there,

new member & 1st post!

I'm an NQT and begin teaching YR in September. Amongst a lot of excitment is the nervous anxiety of my own transition. The school I am working for has a good induction programme and I have the luxury of visiting the children who will be in my class in their preschool settings, in addition to home visits in Sept. I am really looking forward to meeting them! :D

There are 2 areas of enquiry really, the first regarding the visits and

any 'formal' questions you might expect to ask (other than the obvious, interests, social interaction and more to the point - just spending a bit of time with the child/ren concerned). The other question is that 2 of the children I will be visiting are prior to SEN review meetings. I feel unprepared and inexperienced in this & the nursery visits will help make the most of the reviews. What do you advise I ask? If you where a teacher visiting ... what would you ask? :o

All suggestions gratefully recieved,

Skylight

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)