Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Seal Training

Hi,

I went on SEAL training yesterday and we are going to fully incorporate it from September. The difficulty is there are no medium term plans set out and it would have been easier to have a framework to start with which we could have added to such as Dansi Materials and Place to be schemes (PSHE Initiatives we use in Durham). Have others had the same problems?

I think it' s cause I'm responsible PSHCE, Literacy and Foundation/Early Years!!

It would be interesting to hear if others have done all Medium term plans for SEAL or whether all staff have taken their age groups materials and wrote plans accordingly.

There seems to be lots of resources to make so I thought if I gave people an electronic copy of resources they could make them, like feelings fans, etc.

Hi Becky I did the SEAL training some time ago and it was decided that Staff would do their own planning from the SEAL materials and incorporate our existing PSHE materials where possible. All staff have copies of their year materials and resources (posters photos are kept centrally) I am hoping to be working with Peter Mullhollands team next term to develop things in school. Have you got the additional materials published recently?

SEAL.doc

Hi Marion

Yes got the latest group/assembly stuff

we want to incorporate it into things we already do. There was a Primary Strategy woman from Wakefield who had done all medium term plans for all teachers in Wakefield which they could adjust for their individual schools. It was fantastic, but unfortunately Durham haven't done that!!

Some of the resources are fab. She had made credit card sized cards for calming down tips for children/teachers/lunchtime supervisors etc

lots and lots of ideas!

Yes she was at my first SEAL session a school in Durham think it might be Brandon or Branspeth did our 2nd presentation and had changed all their planning to fit in with SEAL themes maybe Peter could put you in touch

Im doing quite a bit of work on Emotional intelligence and can highly recommend Nichola's book the Thinking Child

Edited by Marion

Nicola has written some other materials on emotional intelligence too, Marion. Not sure what they are called although they are probably on her website unless she is around and can enlighten us. Nicola???

Thanks

Yes I've ordered the book as well.

We have done quite a bit on brain gym and that will fit in very nicely.

SEAL is very good and I have put together a powerpoint with as many of the photos as possible, to Coldplay's Fix You for our staff meeting tomorrow night, then we'll do some circle time activities after introducing SEAL. We only have half an hour so it will b brief.

I qualified as a Brain Gym practitioner in 1999 so use that alot.

My big problem was/is to convince all members of staff that SEAL is important. We had a number of staff meetings/twilights to introduce it to the staff to it. I used the singing hippo and the clip from the birds we had on our 1st training day. (Mel and I do a mean singing hippo dancing dog double act) Started off asking all the staff to think about a teacher who had impact on them and why.

I have a powerpoint presentation on other PC.

Last week Peter Mullholland took our staff meeting and as I said I hope to be working with him in school next term.

I made CDs for all the staff of the materials plus somehow we ended up with packs for everyone.

I will be monitoring how it goes (as I say Im not sure everyone is 100% on board unfortunately) but personally I see it as a step in the right direction and think the photographs and resouces are excellent.

I've heard the photos are brilliant - can you order them or do they have to be downloded!! Just thinking of the time and quantity of ink neded.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)