Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Physical Activities For Outside?

Hi there, i am trying to tackle my brains for some new and different activities and ideas for outside to do with developing physical skills....

i am rather aware that out 30 min pe sessions a week isnt quite long enough. have been doing obstacle courses etc but just wondered if anyone had any other fab tried and tested ideas???!!

many thanks in advance xxx

we take a cd player outside (got an extension cable and run it via the classroom window) we do aerobics during breaktimes... the kids love it... YMCA, Madonna (or is it me that loves it?)

We also had a skipping day where some very cool champion skippers cam in and led workshops for rec. y1 and y2. Everbody got the bug and now skipping is one of the main activities... during the summer term we also ran a playground games club after school and this got parents invovled too.

Our children also like music in the garden, along with streamers, bells etc. We do skipping too, as well as the usual drawing, painting activities etc. We recently saved some squirty bottles (the ones that antibac spray comes in) cleaned out and refilled with watery paint. We attached large sheets of paper (wallpaper usually) attached to the fences and we let the children spray the paper with the different coloured bottles of paint. I know it's not a large physical movement, but works wonders with development of hand-eye coordination!

I agree with apple and Clare about the outdoor music and dancing - we often follow up dance PE sessions by putting the same music outside. last year we got a Busted CD for our boys who were mad keen on the group and we got a toy guitar out too. - We have two large stage blocks under our canopy which provided a ready made stage :D

Brooms, rakes, wheelbarrow, dustpan and brush always go down well with ours, especially in the autumn :D (the brushing is useful all the time 'cos of the sand!)

If you want hand/eye coordination activities, weaving in a fence or using a hoop is good. Also big paintbrushes, decorators' rollers etc with buckets of water.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)