Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Helpppppppppppp

HI all

can you all shed some insight on how on earth you assess your children, im in pre-school most days we have 13 children and two staff, i want to find a way to make sure that i am meeting each child's needs everyday. so rather than planning broadly just to meet the FS i want to find a way to show that i am planning for the children as individuals

Bar providing individualised activity plans daily (which would be far too time consuming and just not practical (at least i don't think it would be)) i am not sure how to show where each child is at in terms of the FS and their learning/needs and their own individuality.

I know i posted a similar post the other day, but i really need help.... i wanted to try and take something back into nursery tommorow so that i could show my other collegue.

thanks in advance.

Dawn

Hi

What we do is we have broken all the stepping stones down into card numbers, these numbers then corresponde to our record keeping sheets, if a child has completed dispositions and attitudes 1 we highlight it , each child has an individual page with all the card numbers on it, just by looking we can see what they have and haven't done, does this make sense. We then plan our activities around the areas that have not been highlighted.

It does work but it hard to explain.

Hi

What we do is we have broken all the stepping stones down into card numbers, these numbers then corresponde to our record keeping sheets, if a child has completed dispositions and attitudes 1 we highlight it , each child has an individual page with all the card numbers on it, just by looking we can see what they have and haven't done, does this make sense. We then plan our activities around the areas that have not been highlighted.

It does work but it hard to explain.

56458[/snapback]

think it makes sense?,

so you have one sheet per child so under dispositions and attitudes (as an example!) number one on your card number would relate to shows curiosity, as that is what it is in the FS guidance folder, and number two would be have a strong exploratory impulse etc etc... and that format would follow for all overall aspects of the FS (ie confidence and self esteem, and sense of community etc)..

sid i interprit that right.

Thanks for your help

Dawn

I have attached my weekly blank planning sheets. They are printed double sided and put together with a comb binder. I print a terms blank sheets into a book.

Page 1 is our overall aims for the week based mainly on the long term plan learning focus/aspect, but also informed by previous weeks notes on childrens interest and next steps identified. (FSC & BTTM)

Page 2 is planning for our Routine group activities ( Yellow group is our youngest, red our oldest- some children may swap between groups depending on what level they are working at)

Page 3. We only have 2 adult led activity plans per week, the other places are left blank, in the first column. The right column we write possible activities, informed by LTP and childrens next steps/interests

Pages 4 & 5 More detailed info on adult led activity plans (implimented on 2 days each per week), and evaluation sheet.

Pages 6 & 7 Childrens names (FSC)and space to jot down interests/learning, adjacent page(7) to jot down next steps, or repeat, or consolodate.

Pages 8 & 9 ditto 6 & 7 but for BTTM children

Page 10 General notes and areas of environment identified to develop, such as re-do display board, what resources to collate for following week, ( not child related devlopment) these are then written up as action plans in a seperate book.

Page 11 How we meet the 5 Outcomes, this is an ongoing SEF to show what has gone well.

Although this may seem quite a lot of writing, it isn't, the staff mainly deputy and manager, complete the planning during the week, the childrens info is added as the week goes along and the evaluations done as required, ie after an adult led activity. We also have continuous provision which also covers all 6 areas & BTTM provision. The staff reflect on the info to plan for the following week. They also get motivated by completing the SEF, because this is about what has been successful. All staff are involved in completing parts of the book. We then have a whole terms "fluid" plans to use as evidence for ofsted with everything all in one place and not in different recorded formats.

The staff write childrens individual knowledge skills and attitude achievements straight into their achievement files. ( not on pages 6 & 8)

This method has taken a while to evolve, and may yet be changed again, we always strive to reduce paperwork so that staff don't feel that "recording" takes away from "doing". but on the other hand want to feel that we can show what has gone on on a daily / weekly basis.

Peggy

Well, I've written the above but can't put the attachment on, a publisher document, I get an error saying wrong file extension. :o

weekly_focus_for_individual_children_example.doc

I wonder if this would work?,

what do you think, it shows that we are looking at the focuses of individual children when relevant. would this work?

Dawn

56473[/snapback]

That certainly shows you know your children, but I think you may be asked, How you know, I think "professional judgement" should suffice, :o but an Inspector or EYAT may want to see how the learning need is shown to be indentified. Also it is not just about learning needs, we need to plan to childrens interests. So noting these somehow would be useful and then show how planning is informed ( or changed) to meet these interests.

peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)