Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Alphabet Tune

What tune do people use to sing the alphabet? I have used 'Twinkle, Twinkle' previously but dislike the way that 'l, m, n, o, p' gets all squashed together!

I also use this tune but sometimes adapt London's Burning tune as well, it sort of fits! There's also another I use but I can't describe the tune! the words go like this...abcdefg come and sing the alphabet with me, hijklmn its as easy as counting to ten, opqrs and t ,its as easy as 123, uvwxyz sing the alphabet is what I said.

There's also the letter name rap from THRASS which is a talking rap you can use with an alphabet poster/square it goes like this...ab,abc,abcdefg,hi,hij,hijklmn,op,opq,opqrstu,vw,vwx,vwxy ZZZ! The children point to the letters with their 'dancing finger' as you say the rap and when you get to Z they punch their arm in the air 3 times and shout the Z sound. They really enjoy that bit! There was a posting recently using a different alphabet song to the tune of Bobby Shaftoe but I can only remember the first line and can't find the link. The first line was abcdefg, all the letters came to tea.....maybe some kind person can help us find it as I want to write it down. Hope this helps!

A, b , c, d, e, f ,g,

All the letters came to tea.

H, i, j, k, l, m, n,

The food was quite delicious.

O, p, q r, s, t, u,

V and w, they came too.

X and y ate all the pie

And z washed up the dishes.

I once bought a cassette for my chilldren with alphabet songs on it. One I pinched from there that my kids at school love is a sort of chant:

a b c d eeeeeeeeee

f g h i jaaaaaaaaaay

k l m n ohhhhhhhhhh

p q r s teeeeeeeeeee

u v w

x y z (the children shout this line as loudly as they can :o )

- there is a bit of a tune to it, but I can't demonstrate it on here (lucky break all round!)

Maybe there are some other well-known tunes that could be used? Off the top of my head, how about Happy Birthday?

Thanks Gail for posting the Bobby Shaftoe one...Ive written it down now and can't wait to sing it next week!

When I was a Brownie we sang it to a nice tune. I've just asked my daughter if she recognises the tune and it reminded her of 'Hurray, Hurray, it's a holi holiday..' anyone remember that? Boney M did it many moons ago!

Obviously I can't sing it here but I've put the notes in brackets for those that play anything!

AB(bb) CD(gg) EF(bb) GH(gg) IJKLM(bbcba)

NOPQ(f#bbf#) RSTU(f#bbf#)

VWXYZ(f#dedcga)

I hope that makes sense to SOMEONE!!!

Our feeder school used to sing it to the tune of 'She'll be coming round the mountain'. Not quite sure what happens towards the end though...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)