Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children With Profound Needs

Hi,

I am currently training in a school which has recently changed its designation to accept children with profound and complex needs. I am currently teaching in a class of 9 -all of whom have quite severe autism which I have had training and experience of dealing with (in the sense of providing a curriculum that they can access) I have just got the job for next year in the same class (having beaten the class teacher at the mo who was only on a temp contract - but thats another thread!!) and I have been told that it is a difficult class next year - going to be taking three children in wheelchairs, a couple more children with autism and 2 children with downs.

Just writing to ask if anyone has any experience of this and how they tailor the curriculum for these children - especially the child initiated for the children in wheelchairs.

Has anyone any suggestions of what I could be doing in the meantime to prepare for this or any websites to look at?

I am really excited by this prospect but a little worried I will be responsible for the learning of these children when I have so little experience.

Any help would be really appreciated! Sorry for the essay of a post!!!

Jo

Guest tinkerbell

Hi jop

I read your other thread ,congratulations on the new job!

I dont teach in a school like yours but I visited one last week where one of my children attends 2 afternoons a week.

They have their own topic planners that are geared for SEN and it is a bought scheme, they said I could photocopy bits if i wanted .

Would you like me to find out the name of it?

Tinkerbellx

I teach in a PMLD/SLD school (which also has provision for children with SLD and autism) and I have a very mixed class. I have a mixture of mobile SLD children, 1 who uses a power chair but is SLD and 4 very profoundly disabled children. Our curriculum is very sensory and works at quite a slow pace. If you would like to chat, give me a message and I'll be happy to talk more.

Nich

xx

Hi jop

I read your other thread ,congratulations on the new job!

I dont teach in a school like yours but I visited one last week where one of my children attends 2 afternoons a week.

They have their own topic planners that are geared for SEN and it is a bought scheme, they said I could photocopy bits if i wanted .

Would you like me to find out the name of it?

Tinkerbellx

56299[/snapback]

yes please. thanks for your help

Jo

I teach in a PMLD/SLD school (which also has provision for children with SLD and autism) and I have a very mixed class. I have a mixture of mobile SLD children, 1 who uses a power chair but is SLD and 4 very profoundly disabled children. Our curriculum is very sensory and works at quite a slow pace. If you would like to chat, give me a message and I'll be happy to talk more.

Nich

xx

56310[/snapback]

thanks that would be brilliant. I am really excited about taking on this challenge but as a new teacher I do find it quite daunting. There are a couple of people in school that have jsut been employed who have experience but it is a new experience for most people at my school. I am going to team teach at first which will support me but I'd love to discuss your experience and teaching methods further. I will PM you if thats ok sometime next week when I have a few spare moments!

I presume you still follow the same curriculum? How much adult help do you have? and do you still have child initiated? There are a few questions to start with but I have loads!!! From the way you set up the classroon environment to how you structure your day to your planning! I will email you soon. Its so nice to have someone in that situation to ask things. This forum is great :D .

thanks

jo

Look forward to hearing from you. I actually have a KS2 class, which is a bit of a shock to my system, having taught in mainstream reception or R/1 classes for the past 3 years, but I find the ways of working very similar.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)