Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Me!

Can anyone give me any hints or web links because Ive started a course in early years and Im quite lost!!!! I need some help with different sorts of observations and how to carry them out!!! help me please!!! :o

Hi Jemma, don't despair!!

There are some links to some observation articles, have you found them?

Then ask some more questions.

What books has your course referred you to?

Observations inform planning, for the teaching & learning that will take place.

but observations have different formats. They may be spontaneous or planned/focused.

Spontaeous observations are usually short, planned or focused observations will be longer.

Does that help at all?

Susan

Have you got access to a good library? There are many books available on observations. Also Amazon.co.uk have some good books. You can sometimes buy used books at good prices online.

Have you got the foundation stage and birth to three guidelines at your setting? They have tips on planning.

Hope this helps!!

:o

You'll find it recommended all over this site, but I'll add mine anyway - Vicky Hutchins book - Observing and Assessing for the Foundation Stage Profile is excellent - even if you are observing for another reason, or for younger children, the content of the book is clear and very helpful.

Hi Jemma, the links are on the bottom of the frontpage if you're still looking!

Get back to us with something more specific. I know you're a student but what is the context of your research? Are you a fulltime student or on a placement, in work etc? All that will help us help you.

Susan

hi I've got a book I find very useful 'start with the child' by the pre-school learning alliance. It has an chapter on obs, they also split the stepping stones down even furture which I find useful.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jemma

I hope im not to late to suggest a book here. i have had to complete observations as part of my NVQ's and HND and found a great book when i first started was

A practical Guide to Child Observatio and Assessment.

by - Christine hobart and Jill Frankel

ISBN 0-7487-4500-9

i got mine form ammazon but you can get it of the shelf. itsuseful because it shows you several different types of observation and how to evaluate afterwards.

julie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)