Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq Early Years

Hi everybody it has been months i have not been on the forum. Just need a bit of help i am plodding along doing my nvq 3 i am on C16 cld some one help me pls. i need to do 4 observations in 4 different methods i wuld appreciate if someone could direct me in the right direction pleaseeeeee :o

Love to all

Trudy :)

For my language obs, I did

listening - free description

reading - not sure what the method was called but it was basically a sheet of paper with different norms for reading. I had to colour in the norms that the subject child was meeting.

talking - free description

writing - checklist

I got away with doing 2 free descriptions because it was one of my last obs units and I was lacking a free description, but you might have to look at the obs methods you have left to cover.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Clare

Hi Trudy, what question is it or is it for PC? How about Time Sample, Event Sample, Target child, ?? Any help? Good luck!

Hi Trudy, what question is it or is it for PC? How about Time Sample, Event Sample, Target child, ?? Any help? Good luck!

56133[/snapback]

Thanks Shirel yes I have to do 4 different methods of observation basically it is C16 early yrs child care and education lvel 3 i am doing Time sampling sounds right, (Event sampling not sure? what do i have to do for that. I have however, done target child i followed the child around and wrote what ever she was doing, saw how she interacted with other child/children encouraged her to read and noted she lost interest

very soon so on and so forth. Do yo thinlk i did good what would i call that observation. Willing to accept any ideas

Love

Trudy

For my language obs, I did

listening - free description

reading - not sure what the method was called but it was basically a sheet of paper with different norms for reading. I had to colour in the norms that the subject child was meeting.

talking - free description

writing - checklist

I got away with doing 2 free descriptions because it was one of my last obs units and I was lacking a free description, but you might have to look at the obs methods you have left to cover.

Hope this helps!

56131[/snapback]

Hi Clare thanks for replying you mentioned you had to colour in the norms that the subject child was meeting on a sheet of paper tht sounds interesting would you be able to let me have a look at that if possible. However "norms " please let me know what that means pleaseeeee if see it in my knowledge questions and a bit confused

for writing i will be setting up an activity on alphabets recognising their name first letter on a card and then they will say the letter and then will have the sprinkle some glitter on it as a reward to take home do you think i can observe a target or do i have to do this as a group observation so confused having probs with my accessor she does not listens and just waffles on without understanding what i ask her

Look forward to hearing from you or anyone that can help pleaseeeee :o

Look at the NVQ guidance

Here

It is important that you know why you are doing an observation before deciding which method. I think you need to do a bit more reading up on the subject before putting it into practice.

The "why" is not because you need to for your nvq :oxD

It is the "What do you need to know about the child", the aim or focus of the observation.

Different methods are useful for different aims, some methods are totally innapropriatte for some aims.

Your evaluation of the observation should be informed by your aim.

Good luck, there are many good books out there on observation and assessment skills. I personally think this is a very important aspect of an E.Y. practitioners role, no one can do their job sufficiently without having this skill.

Peggy

Hi

Do you mean  different methods as in target child, narrative, tracking observation, spidergram etc

56100[/snapback]

Hi thanks for replying yes please help me any ideas will do yesterday i did a free description writing about child talking, a bit of reading, behaviour, interacting with other children general writing planning to do some maths and recognising the first letter of their name then i will write what i do and get it signed by he teacher.

Do advice me if i am doing it right

Love

Trudy :)

Look at the NVQ guidance

Here

It is important that you know why you are doing an observation before deciding which method. I think you need to do a bit more reading up on the subject before putting it into practice. 

The "why" is not because you need to for your nvq  :o  xD

It is the "What do you need to know about the child", the aim or focus of the observation.

Different methods are useful for different aims, some methods are totally innapropriatte for some aims.

Your evaluation of the observation should be informed by your aim.

Good luck, there are many good books out there on observation and assessment skills. I personally think this is a very important aspect of an E.Y. practitioners role, no one can do their job sufficiently without having this skill.

Peggy

56173[/snapback]

Thanks Peggy i am aware that the observations are important as E.Y Practioners role i have a idea it is just i have to do 4 methods i knowabout the ticking observation i have done it in my work place just need to know if i am doing i right

To be honest if two people observed the same child at the same time, ( and didn't have a focus for the obs) the results would most probably be quite different. Even though we should be objective and just write facts, each person will see the child in different perspectives.

If your observations are giving you the information you need then you are doing it right, if they aren't then you need to change the method.

I personaly find tick list observations quite limiting, they do have their uses but don't really show the context in which a child has achieved a skill or task or the thinking behind it.

Event sample observations are useful for recording patterns in behaviour.

You basically decide what you want to look out for ie: number of times a child initiates interaction with peers. Then each time the child does it you write it down, the time and context. You have to be able to watch the child over a longer period of time for this to be sufficient to show a pattern of behaviour, for example within an hour or even a whole session. It can also be used to record unwanted behaviour to show what are the triggers and consequences.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)